Council Tax and Business Rates Enforcement Action
Get in touch at the earliest possible stage if you are having financial difficulties so that we can work with you and put an arrangement in place if it is appropriate to do so.
Download the Advice Agency contact details leaflet Jan 2016 [doc] 1045KB which is sent out with the Liability Order.
Where bills remain unpaid the council can take action against those who owe it money once a liability order has been issued by the Magistrates Court. This would involve the council instructing a company to secure payment from you. You will have probably heard these companies referred to as bailiffs. However, as of 6 April 2014, they are known as Enforcement Agents.
The new regulations include:
- The introduction of a seven-day notice of enforcement, designed to encourage early payment or an additional opportunity for those who owe the council money to seek advice
- changes to the days and hours when enforcement action can take place
- changes to how an enforcement agent may access a property
- Making it compulsory for the enforcement agents to give debtors certain information when a ‘controlled goods agreement’ is made
- How the sale of any goods seized will be handled
- A new set of fees that enforcement agents must use
The three stages of council tax or business rates enforcement action
Stage 1 - Administration, or the compliance, stage
This results in a fee of £75 for each instruction that is passed by the council to an Enforcement Agent.
Stage 2 - Attendance at the property
A fee of £235 covers all work carried out but a further charge of 7.5% of any debt value over £1,500 will also be applied.
Stage 3 - The sale of goods
A fee of £110 plus 7.5% of any debt value over £1,500.
Regulations can be read online:
- The Taking Control of Goods Regulations 2013
- The Taking Control of Goods (Fees) Regulations 2014
- Statutory Instruments 2014 No. 421
- Statutory Instruments 2014 No. 600
The agents listed below are authorised to act on behalf of Ashford Borough Council. Always quote your account number when making contact with an Enforcement Agent. Once instructed, the Enforcement Agent takes full responsibility for collecting the debt and it is the council's decision not to interfere with their operations.
2 Southlands Road
Kent BR2 9QP
Make a payment: 0845 527 7958 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
Tel: 020 8290 5055
59 Clarke Road
Northampton NN1 4PL
180-188 Northolt Road
South Harrow HA2 0LT
Tel: 01604 633001
Payments: 01604 625136 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
Stanford & Green Limited
Kent ME15 6LP
Tel: 01622 683308
Fax: 01622 683369
PO Box 324
Tel: 0844 701 3980
Fax: 0844 078 1194