We provide enforcement and education services in respect of dog fouling issues. In all instances where evidence is obtained formal action may result, including the issue of on the spot fines (Fixed Penalty Notices) breaching the Ashford Borough Council Dog Fouling Order [pdf] 92KB.
The dog warden service will collect stray dogs between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday and take them to the council's nominated kennel. If the dog is not claimed within seven full days from the time it is kennelled, the dog will be made available for re-homing.
If you have found a dog and are able to keep hold of it until the next working day please fill out our report a lost or found dog and we will contact you to arrange collection or call 01233 330340 in office hours.
You can also register your lost or Stolen dog with DOG LOST.
Dog Warden Service Responsibilities
Ashford Borough Council has a statutory duty to deal with stray dogs. In addition we also:
- Investigate dog control issues such as straying and fouling
- Dogs dangerously out of control in a public place that are likely to cause harm
- Offer advice on responsible dog ownership
- Provide Free Microchipping. Failure to have your dog micro-chipped could result in a £500 fine
Police deal with:
- Dangerous dogs (Dangerous Dogs Act 1991)
- Dogs attacks on humans in cases where skin is broken and the dog attacked the human directly (Where a human is bitten accidentally whilst trying to separate dogs the Dog Warden will take action)
- Dogs straying onto the motorway
Dog on dog attacks are a civil matter.
As a responsible dog owner you should:
- Not allow your dog to roam unattended in public places
- We will seize stray dogs or collect them from members of the public who have detained them
- Ensure that you dog is microchipped and details are kept up to date
- Not allow your dog to cause a nuisance to other people
- keep your dog under control at all times
- Clear up after your dog and dispose of the fouling in a litter/dog bin
The dog warden service is not responsible for emptying dog waste bins, as this is managed by our street cleansing service. Email email@example.com to report a dog waste bin to be emptied.