Assisted Moves Scheme
The demand for family size accommodation is continually increasing and Ashford Borough Council wants to adopt a scheme that offers its tenants a number of incentives to downsize their council home. The scheme can offer a financial reward, support in moving, finding the right property and some added extras to help you along the way.
Who is eligible under the scheme?
To qualify you need to be:
- Over the age of 50
- A tenant of Ashford Borough Council
- Currently living in a two-, three-, or four-bedroom property
- Wishing to downsize to a smaller property – either a flat, bungalow, or a unit in one of our sheltered schemes
You may also qualify if you are currently living in a mobility property owned by the council (this includes properties that have been specifically adapted for disability) where the property is no longer needed for those adaptations.
What are the financial rewards?
- Payment of £500 for each bedroom you give up if you move into a bungalow. For example – if you are moving from a three-bedroom house into a one-bedroom bungalow then you could receive £1,000
- Payment of £500 for each bedroom you give up if you move into a sheltered housing scheme. For example – if you are moving from a two-bedroom house into a one-bedroom flat then you could receive £500
- Payment of £500 for each bedroom you give up if you move into a sheltered housing studio flat. For example – if you are moving from a three-bedroom house into a studio flat you could receive £1,500
What are the additional benefits?
- Removal costs are paid. This includes removing of all your furniture and possessions, supply of boxes, and a packing and unpacking service
- New carpet for your new property
- Financial compensation for the re-direction of your post
- Financial compensation for the disconnection and reconnection for your home telephone
- Disconnection and reconnection for your cooker and washing machine
What else do we help with?
- Being part of this scheme you will benefit from practical advice and support from your housing manager
- We can assist with your application to this scheme and help guide you through the Choice Based Lettings process. We can also make suitable bids for you in the properties that you are interested in
- We will assist with planning your move
- We will help you with contacting your utility companies and changing your address and reading your gas and electricity meters
- We will help you with the change of address for housing benefit and council tax benefit
Why should you consider this scheme?
- If your current property is proving too costly for you to maintain and you want to reduce your household costs
- You wish for a smaller property that is easier to manage
- You need a property that is suitable for your needs
- You want support within a sheltered environment
If you are currently under occupying your council property then you may want to consider this scheme as you may be affected by some of the changes which have been implemented recently. Under the Localism Act 2011 and welfare reform changes a bedroom tax has been introduced to those working age people who are under occupying their social rented property. The extent of the under occupation will affect the financial impact which this may have on you.
For more information contact the housing services team on 01233 330688 or email firstname.lastname@example.org