Emergency Telephone Weekends: 01233 629 911

Home: Ashford Borough Council

Affordable Housing

Ashford Borough Council works in partnership with a number of housing associations to help meet the need for affordable homes in the borough.

Affordable housing is provided for people who are unable to access housing in the private housing market. The types of properties and tenure options are described below:

Homes available for rent

These include council or housing association properties. Affordable homes for rent are made available through Kent Homechoice. Properties are available for social rent (a rent that is approximately 60% of the local market rent) or affordable rent (a rent which is up to 80% of the local market rent inclusive of service charges).

Help to Buy

Homes available via Help to Buy is a government initiative to enable social housing tenants, MOD and other first time buyers to buy a share of a home and get a first step on the housing ladder. For more information see our Help to Buy web page.

Low-cost home ownership

These properties are sold at 70% of open market value where the remaining 30% is held in the ownership of the developer. There is no rent payable on the un-owned share. There are a small number of properties occasionally available through re-sale. For further details please contact David Jeffrey on 01233 330687.

Further information about the Lodgewood low cost home ownership development in Ashford.

Further information about the Ellen Close shared ownership development in Charing.

Affordable rural local needs housing

Affordable rural local needs housing is housing provided on land where the only type of development allowed is affordable local needs housing. These homes enable local people to remain in the village where they live or work and not be forced to move away because of high house prices and high rents. 

Following widespread consultation, we have produced guidance for individuals and organisations involved in the provision of affordable rural local needs housing in rural locations. It explains how the scheme operates and helps to develop good practice.

The Kent Housing Group and the Kent Rural Board have produced a protocol for delivering affordable local needs housing in rural Kent. The protocol provides guidance to all the partners involved in developing small local needs housing scheme.

Kent Housing Group Rural Protocol.

As part of the Kent Housing Group, Ashford Borough Council and English Rural Housing Association has contributed to a short video about rural housing needs.

For more information email the housing team.

Self-build and custom house building

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 requires all local authorities, including Ashford Borough Council, to keep a register of individuals who are seeking to acquire serviced plots of land in the borough on which to build their own homes.

The council has set up a register to determine the demand for sites from those interested in undertaking self-build and custom build housing projects.

If you would like to register your interest, or for more information, please visit our self-build and custom house building page.

Note: Questions marked by * are mandatory