01233 629 911

Home: Ashford Borough Council

Caravans and Campsites

Licensing of Caravan/Mobile Home/Park Home Sites

Privately owned caravan/mobile home/park home sites must normally have a licence from the local authority, issued under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960. The licence will have conditions attached, which regulate a variety of aspects of the site. The Government has issued guidance in respect of those conditions under the Model Standards for Permanent Residential Mobile Home Sites 1989 and the Model Standards for Holiday Caravan Sites1989 which have been adopted by the council. A copy of the licence must be displayed on the site. A local authority can take action against a site owner for contraventions of the site licence conditions. A pre-requisite of issuing a site licence is that the site has the necessary planning permission. Where the occupier of a caravan/mobile home/park home is not the land owner, he/she will have a separate agreement with the site/land owner under the Mobile Homes Act 1983. The local authority does not have any remit with regard to disputes arising in respect of these agreements.

Site licences are administered by our Private Sector Housing team. They can be contacted by email at privatesectorhousing@ashford.gov.uk

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 has made adjustments to the responsibilities relating to fire precautions in particular on these sites, and following a consultation by Government in respect of updating the 1989 Model Standards, new guidance in the form of the model standards 2008 for Caravan Sites in England has now been issued.

Private Sector Housing also administers the relevant statutory provisions in respect of camp-sites.

Note: Questions marked by * are mandatory