Emergency telephone 6pm–8am: 01233 629 911

Personal Licence: Ashford Borough Council

Personal Licence

Picture of alcoholic drinks bottles. A personal licence allows you to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol in a venue which has a premises licence or a temporary event notice. A personal licence alone is not sufficient to authorise the sale of alcohol.

Personal licences are issued by the local authority where a person lives, and since 6 April 2015 has no expiry date. Personal licence holders can authorise up to 50 temporary event notices in each calendar year.

Before applying for a personal licence, a recognised qualification [pdf] 220KB must be achieved. The aim of this is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law and the wider social responsibilities attached to the sale of alcohol.

How to apply

Complete and return to us both the Personal Licence application form [pdf] 145KB and Disclosure of convictions and civil penalties declaration [pdf] 95KB, along with:

  • two photographs of yourself, one of which is endorsed as a true likeness
  • the original or certified copy of your licensing qualification certificate
  • the results of a basic criminal convictions check (no older than one month). This can be obtained from Disclosure Scotland - 0870 609 6006.
  • fee of £37.00
  • Right to work document

Notification of change of name or address or lost badge

Please complete the Personal Licence COA form [pdf] 780KB and return it to us, along with your licence (badge and paper copy), two new photos and a fee of £10.50.

Contact us

Email our Licensing Team.

By post
Civic Centre
Tannery Lane
Kent TN23 1PL

Personal Licence - FAQs

Do personal licences expire?


Do I need a personal licence to be a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)?


Do I need a personal licence to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)?

No, a non personal licence holder can have 5 TEN’s a calendar year.
My current personal licence has an expiry date on it; do I need to change it?


But if you want a new badge we need 2 new photos and a fee of £10.50.

I have moved out of the borough which council do I apply to, to change my address?

You always remain licensed by the council that issued your licence.
I have lost my licence; how can I get a replacement?

You need to provide two new photos and a fee of £10.50.

What do I need to apply for a personal licence?
Where can I do my personal licence qualification?

Please refer to the list of providers above or do a Google search for local course.

What does the personal licence course involve?

It’s a one day course with a multiple choice exam at the end of the day.

I have changed my address. Do I need to update my licence? You always remain licensed by the council that issued your licence.



Engagement Excellence Awards Logo

We would like to place cookies on your computer to make your experience of our website faster and more convenient. To find out more, please refer to our privacy policy . If you do not choose to accept cookies, some parts of this site may not work properly.

Please choose a setting: