Planning Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you have a planning query, we would encourage you to check our top 10 FAQs:
Do I need Planning Permission? Would I get Planning Permission?
Can I create a new vehicular access and/or hard-standing?
Can I convert my garage?
Can I work from home or do childminding from home?
Do I need permission to put up an outdoor advert for an event?
Do I need to apply for change of use?
Is my property affected by Tree Preservation Orders, Conservation Areas, Ancient Woodland, Listed Buildings, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty etc
Can you help me as I'm buying a property? Planning advice for works to a prospective purchase:
Who owns a piece of land?
How do I report an alleged breach of planning/planning enforcement?
Other common queries:
- Planning applications
- Check the planning history of a property:
- Find copy S106 agreements
- View records online (you will need to search documents for the relevant planning application).
- Listed buildings
- Find out if a property is listed: interactive map
- Conservation areas
- Tree preservation orders
- Trees: bat protection and licences
Other sources of reference:
The Planning Portal is the online national resource for planning and building control. Advice on many commons projects is available on their website together with:
- interactive tools
- mini-guides that provide more detailed visual clarification of the permitted development rules for specific householder development projects such as
- Loft conversions
Ultimately, if you want to be certain that the existing use of a building is lawful for planning purposes or that your proposal does not require planning permission, you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate.
Still can't find what you are looking for? Then contact us.