Emergency telephone 6pm–8am: 01233 629 911

Planning for Business: Ashford Borough Council

Planning for Business

Contact Us - Planning for Economic Recovery service

The council takes a very positive approach to helping business through the planning process, especially new enterprises or where existing ones want to move or expand in the borough. We have a free Planning for Economic Recovery if you want to bring new enterprises or jobs to the borough. Remember if you are carrying out building works you will probably also need consent under the Building Regulations.

Advice is available on the following alterations to premises:

This section is a guide to the planning system for businesses. It provides help on when planning permission is required and how to make a planning application. However, it is not an authoritative interpretation of the law. If after reading this section you are still unclear how to proceed, you can contact us

Planning permission is not always required. Changes to the inside of buildings, and small alterations to the outside of the building such as the installation of telephone connections and alarm boxes, generally do not require planning permission. Other small changes, for example putting up boundary walls and fences below a certain height, can be permitted development for which a specific application is not required. These rules may not apply if the building involved is a listed building or in a conservation area.

Change of Use

Further details are on the Change of Use page. 

Extending Premises 

Minor extensions, including the erection of additional buildings within the curtilage, may not need a planning application because the development is already permitted by national legislation. The guidance below indicates when, in general, an application for permission will or will not be required. Further information is available at the Planning Portal.

Factory or Warehouse Extensions 

Planning permission will not normally be required if your extension is:

  • less than 1000 square metres of floor space
  • less than 25 per cent of the volume of the original building
  • below the height of the original building

The extension must be related to the current use of the building or the provision of staff facilities. Planning permission will be required if the extension:

  • materially affects the external appearance of the building
  • comes within five metres of the boundary of the site
  • reduces the amount of space available for parking or turning of vehicles

Volume is calculated from external measurements. "Original" means as first built, or as the building stood on 1 July 1948, if built before then. 

Back to Top

Office Extensions

There is no permitted development for sites that are specifically offices. Therefore an application for planning permission will normally be required. There may be limited circumstances where very minor works can be regarded as being so small that they are not worthy of an application – the works are “de minimis” – but you should contact us to get confirmation.

Building New Premises 

The construction of new premises nearly always needs an application for planning permission and consent under the Building Regulations. Our Planning for Economic Recovery service will be able to help you. 

Back to Top

Working From Home

You do not necessarily need planning permission to work from home. The key test is whether the overall character of the dwelling will change as a result of the business. If the answer to any of the following questions is "yes", then permission will probably be needed:

  • Will your home no longer be used mainly as a private residence?
  • Will your business result in a marked rise in traffic or people calling?
  • Will your business involve any activities unusual in a residential area?
  • Will your business disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance such as noise or smells?
  • Will you need to extend your house specifically to accommodate the new business?
  • Will your proposal involve the employment of people that do not live at the house?
  • Will there be regular deliveries that could harm residential amenity?

Whatever business you wish to carry out from your home, whether it involves using part of it for "bed and breakfast" accommodation, using a room as your personal office, providing a childminding service, using rooms for hairdressing, dressmaking or music teaching, or using buildings in the garden for repairing cars or storing goods connected with a business – the key test is: is it still mainly a home or has it become business premises where the business use is having a noticeable impact on the character of the neighbourhood? To avoid any doubt on this type of issue, you may wish to email us: planning.enquiries@ashford.gov.uk with details of your proposal and then further detailed advice can be given.

Back to Top

Advertisements and Signs 

Further information is available on our Advertisement Consent page.

Making an Application 

For more information is available in the Making an Application section of this web site.

Contact Us

More information is available on our Contact Us page.

In Person

Ashford Gateway or Tenterden Gateway.

Planning Help

By Letter
Planning Help
Ashford Borough Council
Civic Centre
TN23 1PL

01233 331111

Back to Top


Engagement Excellence Awards Logo

We would like to place cookies on your computer to make your experience of our website faster and more convenient. To find out more, please refer to our privacy policy . If you do not choose to accept cookies, some parts of this site may not work properly.

Please choose a setting: