01233 629 911

Home: Ashford Borough Council

Premises Licence

Close up of bottles of alcoholA premises licence authorises the use of any premises for licensable activities which are:

  • The sale of alcohol
  • The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club
  • The provision of regulated entertainment (including live and recorded music, plays, films, dancing, indoor sporting events, boxing and wrestling)
  • The provision of late night refreshment (the supply of hot food or drink to the public between 23:00 and 05:00)

Applying for a premises licence

An application for a premises licence has to be made to the relevant licensing authority along with:

You must ensure that copies of the application are submitted to the Responsible Authorities [pdf] 51KB and the application advertised [pdf] 73KB, both at the premises and in the local press.

Minor variation of a premises licence

A minor variation application can be used for the following:

  • Minor changes to the structure or layout of a premises
  • Small adjustments to licensing hours (but not for increasing the hours alcohol is sold)
  • Removal of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions
  • Adding certain licensable activities, including live music

Download application for a minor variation to a premises licence [pdf] 595KB
Download minor variation of a premises licence notice [pdf] 522KB


Some of the exclusions for a minor variation are:

  • To extend the period for which the licence has effect
  • To authorise the sale of alcohol at any time between 23:00 and 07:00
  • To increase the amount of time during which alcohol can be sold

Further information

For further advice on whether your changes can be made as a minor variation email the licensing team.


The current fee is £89.00.

Varying a premises licence

If your application falls outside the scope for a minor variation you will need to submit a full variation:

You must ensure that copies of the application are submitted to the responsible authorities [pdf] 51KB and follow the requirements of advertisement [pdf] 73KB.

The application to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as designated premises supervisor under the Licensing Act 2003 asks the licensee to give a copy of the form to the existing premises supervisor. The completed form contains personal information about the proposed new DPS and sharing this information would be in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998. It is sufficient for the licensee to inform the DPS that the application has been made, without the need to share the specific details of the application. A full copy of the application form must still be sent to police. The form will be amended via regulations as soon as possible to make this clear.

Please visit www.gov.uk/government/publications/designated-premises-supervisor-forms-and-guidance for more information.

Transferring a premises licence to a new licence holder

If the premises is sold or leased to a new owner, they must apply for a premises licence to be transferred to them immediately:

Changing the designated premises supervisor (DPS)

To change the DPS at a premises an application to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as DPS under LA 2003 [pdf] 155KB, disclosure of convictions and civil penalties declaration [pdf] 95KB must be submitted, along with the fee of £23.00. The consent of new DPS [pdf] 12KB is also required.

Your application needs to be copied to the police [pdf] 104KB.

Applying for a community premises licence without a DPS

Removing yourself as a DPS from a premises

If you are the Designated Premises Supervisor at premises and you leave, you may wish to request to be removed as designated premises supervisor [pdf] 543KB, so that you are no longer responsible for the alcohol sales at that premises.

This is only be necessary if an application to vary the licence to name a new DPS is not submitted by the licence holder when you leave.

Contact us

Email the Licensing Team.

Premises Licences FAQs

How do I apply for a new premises licence?

You can download the forms and guidance notes above.

You can return them by post or by hand at the Civic Centre/Town Hall or by email licensing@ashford.gov.uk.

Do I need to submit a plan?

A plan needs to be submitted for all new applications and with variations where the licensable area is being changed.

Does the plan have to be professionally drawn?

No, but it must be to scale and have all the required elements marked on the plan.

How do I change the DPS (Designated Premises Supervisor)?

Complete the forms above to vary the DPS. A fee is applicable.

I have taken over a business that has a premises licence what do I need to do?

Refer to the forms above to transfer the licence (with the consent of the previous licence holder) and to change (vary) the DPS.

Note: Questions marked by * are mandatory