A premises licence authorises the use of any premises for licensable activities which are:
- the sale of alcohol
- the supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to
- the provision of regulated entertainment (including live and recorded music, plays, films, dancing, indoor sporting events, boxing and wrestling)
- the provision of late night refreshment (the supply of hot food or drink to the public between 23:00 and 05:00)
Applying for a premises licence
An application for a premises licence has to be made to the relevant licensing authority along with:
- completed application for a premises licence to be granted [pdf] 1MB
- completed notice of an application for the grant of a premises licence [pdf] 547KB which must be displayed at the premises (on blue paper)
- copy of the plan [pdf] 67KB
- if the application includes alcohol, the consent form [pdf] 17KB of the proposed designated premises supervisor
- the fee [pdf] 83KB
Minor variation of a premises licence
A minor variation application can be used for the following:
- minor changes to the structure or layout of a premises
- small adjustments to licensing hours (but not for increasing the hours alcohol is sold)
- removal of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions
- adding certain licensable activities, including live music
- Download application for a minor variation to a premises licence [pdf] 595KB
- Download minor variation of a premises licence notice [pdf] 522KB
Some of the exclusions for a minor variation are:
- to extend the period for which the licence has effect
- to authorise the sale of alcohol at any time between 23:00 and 07:00
- to increase the amount of time during which alcohol can be sold
For further advice on whether your changes can be made as a minor variation please email the licensing team.
The current fee is £89.00.
Varying a premises licence
If your application falls outside the scope for a minor variation you will need to submit a full variation:
- Download application to vary a premises licence [pdf] 728KB
- Download notice of an application for the variation of a premises licence [pdf] 541KB
- Download fee sheet [pdf] 83KB
Transferring a premises licence to a new licence holder
If the premises is sold or leased to a new owner, they must apply for a premises licence to be transferred to them immediately:
- Download application to transfer premises licence [pdf] 597KB - to be completed by the new owner and fee of £23.00.
- Download consent of premises licence holder to transfer [pdf] 468KB - to be completed by the outgoing licence holder.
- Download copy the transfer of a premises licence application to the police [pdf] 104KB
Changing the designated premises supervisor (DPS)
To change the DPS at a premises an application to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as designated premises supervisor [pdf] 510KB must be submitted, along with the fee of £23.00. The consent of individual to being specified as designated premises supervisor [pdf] 475KB of new DPS is also required.
Your application needs to be copied to the police [pdf] 104KB.
Applying for a community premises licence without a DPS
- Download the community premises application form [pdf] 578KB
- Read the community premises frequently asked questions [pdf] 101KB
Removing yourself as a DPS from a premises
If you are the Designated Premises Supervisor at premises and you leave, you may wish to request to be removed as designated premises supervisor [pdf] 543KB, so that you are no longer responsible for the alcohol sales at that premises.
This is only be necessary if an application to vary the licence to name a new DPS is not submitted by the licence holder when you leave.
For further information please email the Licensing team.
How do I apply for a new premises licence?
You can download the forms and guidance notes above.
By hand at the Civic Centre / Town Hall
By email firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I need to submit a plan?
A plan needs to be submitted for all new applications and with variations where the licensable area is being changed.
Does the plan have to be professionally drawn?
|No, but it must be to scale and have all the required elements marked on the plan.|
|How do I change the DPS (Designated Premises Supervisor)?||
Complete the forms above to vary the DPS. A fee is applicable.
I have taken over a business that has a premises licence what do I need to do?
Refer to the forms above to transfer the licence (with the consent of the previous licence holder) and to change (vary) the DPS.