Did you know the laws have changed?
- By law all dogs must be microchipped from the age of 8 weeks. If your dog does not have a microchip, or your details are not recorded on an approved database, you may be served a 21 day notice. Failing to comply could see a fine of up to £500
- A microchip is a very small electronic device, which is coded with a unique number that can be read by a scanner and entered into a central database. If your dog strays, the local authority, vet or animal welfare organisation will be able to scan your dog and contact the database to trace ownership. You can then be reunited with your dog
- Remember to update the microchipping company if you move address or change telephone numbers
- Ashford Borough Council’s dog warden is currently offering a free microchipping service
- Also by law all dogs must wear a collar and tag, with their owner’s name, address and telephone number on