High street looking messy? Street furniture lost its shine? Then it's time to call T-CAT!
Ashford Borough Council’s Town Centre Action Team (T-CAT) is ensuring that our town centre stays clean, bright and beautiful for all to see.
The team, which is fully funded by the council, and their branded 4x4 are tasked with keeping the town centre looking at its best, and can rapidly respond to any problems by residents, visitors or local businesses.
Duties covered by the team include clearing litter, dog mess, graffiti, chewing gum, and cigarette butts. They will also refurbish street furniture, tidy council car parks, keep our walkways weeded and flowerbeds flourishing, remove fly-posting and keep pavements gritted in the winter.
Anyone can flag up a problem or task to T-CAT, including sending pictures, using any of the following methods:
T-CAT covers Ashford and Tenterden town centres
The team cannot carry out work on privately owned land or property, but staff will endeavour to contact the relevant owners if action is required. Any problems that are out of their coverage area, or beyond their capacity, will be flagged up to the relevant parties and partner organisations.
Holding an event in the town centre?
Contact: Streetscene@ashford.gov.uk to make sure that the area is clean ready for your use.
List of some of the T-CAT duties:
- Clearing areas of litter and or broken glass
- Cleaning, painting and undertaking minor repairs to street furniture, benches and bollards etc
- Cleaning street signs and parking signs. Replacing or arranging the replacement of such signs if faded, missing or damaged
- Cutting back small areas of overgrown vegetation and weeding shared areas and walkways
- Removing graffiti and bubble gum
- Picking up cigarette ends and removing large concentrations of them from problem areas such as outside public houses or from the linear artwork in The Shared Space.
- Clearing and removing small to medium amounts of fly tipped rubbish
- Removing dog mess
- Removing fly posting, cable ties and other rubbish from street furniture
- Assisting with snow clearance and gritting in car parks and in town centre as required
- Making sure all shop fronts are tidy and clean
- Working closely with Love Ashford, The Ashford Town Team are working to regenerate Park Mall and assist with the monthly Ashford Farmer's Market on the 1st Sunday of the month
- Jet washing in the Town Centre, alleyways, shop fronts, Bandstand, churchyard and car parks
Here are just a few examples of some of the work TCAT have done