Advice and Support For the Armed Forces Community
In certain circumstances, applicants for social housing from the Armed Forces do not need to demonstrate a local connection in order to be considered eligible for a social housing allocation in the borough of Ashford.
To apply for social housing, and to find out more about our Lettings Policy regarding the Armed Forces, visit Applying for Social Housing.
Schools and young people
Armed Forces families often have to move at short notice within the UK and from abroad. If you are a member of the UK Armed Forces or a Crown Servant with a confirmed posting to Kent, you can apply for an in year admission to a Kent School through Kent County Council.
There are active Cadet organisations for all branches of the Armed Forces in the Ashford area. If you are interested in learning more about the Cadets or joining, you can visit pages for the Sea Cadets, Army Cadets, Royal Air Force Cadets or Royal Marines Cadets.
Jobs and training
If you're interested in career opportunities in the Armed Force, either as a regular or reserve, go to the careers pages for the Royal Navy, the British Army, the Royal Air Force or the Royal Marines.
Service leavers of any rank can benefit from resettlement support, careers transition advice and training opportunities through the Career Transition Partnership.
You can view current vacancies at Ashford Borough council on our Jobs page.
Welfare and financial support
There are lots of organisations that provide support to serving Armed Forces personnel, their families and veterans.
- The Royal Navy Royal Marines Welfare Team is always on hand to help with the unique challenges that service personnel and their family and friends encounter during life in – or with – the Royal Navy or Royal Marines
- The Naval Families Federation lists organisations and charities that help with a range of welfare issues, including bereavements and disability needs
- The British Army provides help on a range of welfare issues including deployment support, legal assistance and a dedicated, free telephone service (Forcesline) for confidential guidance
- The Army Families Foundation (AFF) is independent of the Army and offers confidential advice on a range of welfare issues including money matters and family life
- The Royal Air Force Community Support provides support to service personnel and families in a number of areas, including accommodation, education and financial support
- The Royal Air Force Families Federation provide all RAF personnel and their families – Regular and Reserve, single or married – with timely and professional support, assistance and an independent voice regarding issues or concerns that they may have
- The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) works to ensure that the needs of the Armed Forces, veterans and their families are met in an appropriate and timely way
- Veterans UK provides a range of services including a veteran’s advice helpline, a welfare service that will provide a dedicated caseworker to assist veterans and their families, and support war pensioners and war widows and widowers
- The Royal British Legion provides support to people who are serving or who have served in the Armed Forces, their dependents and carers
- The South East Reserve Forces' and Cadets' Association (SERFCA) provides supports Reservists and Cadets in the South East of England, as well as managing Reserve, Cadet and Training centres; supporting Reservists by engaging with and supporting their employers; and encouraging support for Reserve Forces and Cadets
The national Covenant Fund has £10 million of funding available each year to support Armed Forces Covenants across the country by funding projects which will address specific priorities around delivery of the Covenant’s aims. There are two funding routes:
Small grants, for applications up to a maximum of £20,000; and large grants, for applications of between £20,001 and £500,000 which aim to strengthen local government delivery of the Covenant.
The funding priorities for 2017/18 are:
- Families in stress
- Strengthening local government delivery of the covenant
- Armed Forces Covenants: local grants
- A single grant to produce a map of need for the Covenant Fund
- A single grant to produce an outcomes framework for the Covenant Fund
- A single grant for the provision of a digital support programme for the Covenant Fund