Steps taken to reopen high streets
Please find below a list of the activities we are spending our funding on to ensure the safe reopening of high streets in the borough of Ashford.
- A communications campaign on Ashford and Tenterden High Streets reopening for business, to provide public information, and to raise confidence in safety measures being applied by councils and businesses.
- Provision of information and materials to support the safe opening of businesses, for example checklists and example risk assessments, etc.
- Daily Environmental Health Officer presence in the High Street the week following non-essential retail reopening. To provide advice and resources to businesses on reopening safely, managing queuing, reduce risks, prevent incident reports, etc.
- Daily Environmental Health Officer presence in the High Street the week following reopening of food & drink and other businesses types. To provide advice and resources to businesses on reopening safely, managing queuing, reduce risks, prevent incident reports, etc.
- For the council to support and assist food and drink premises with adapting to social distancing requirements through the provision of tailored licensing advice, Development control support of temporary seating, and facilitating the use of ABC controlled land where safe and suitable.
- Additional High Street cleansing.
- Additional public toilet cleansing.
- Reopening public toilet at New Street for the week commencing 15 June. Additional public toilet cleansing, and new/additional signage.
- Provision of public-use hand sanitiser stations at Park Mall (High Street entrance) and Tenterden Town Council (High Street).
- Addressing pavement obstructions caused by A-Board narrowing already limited pavements.
- Additional suspension of High Street parking bays to support social distancing and queuing for business premises.
- Designation of Station Road, Tenterden Coach Parking for car parking.
- Removal of planters in Park Mall to aid social distancing and queuing measures.
- Installation of additional general social distancing signage.
- Provision of additional car parking signage, for example contactless payment and safety measures for Edinburgh Road multi-storey car park.