Discretionary Energy Rebate Scheme
This scheme has now closed and all payments have now been made.
The government has given local authorities extra funding to support those suffering financial hardship as a result of the rising cost of living. This is called the “discretionary fund”. It's available to all council tax bands, depending upon individual circumstances.
Who will get help
You will automatically qualify to receive £150 if you are in one of the following categories and you have not already received a payment under the Council Tax Energy Rebate scheme:
- Living in the property you are applying for as your main residence on 1 April 2022; and either of the following
- In receipt of Council Tax Reduction and your property is in bands E – H, at any point during April 2022; or
- Living in a property that qualifies for a disabled band reduction, in bands F – H at any point during April 2022.
If you pay by direct debit, you will automatically receive this payment into your bank account. If you pay by another means, we will write to you in June to explain how you will receive your payment.
Do I need to make a claim?
No. If you meet the above criteria, and you:
- pay by direct debit - you will receive this rebate automatically
- use other payment methods - we will contact you during June to let you know what to do
Discretionary Energy Rebate
This scheme has now closed. If you think you are eligible and have not received a payment then please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
An additional £40 discretionary top up payment has been paid to those that are in receipt of the maximum amount of Council Tax Reduction. If you are entitled to a top up payment, the £40 will already be in your bank account, or credited to your council tax account. Payments were made between 12 and 16 September 2022.
The automatic payments have now been paid, the remaining funds are available for applications from anyone, who has not qualified under the main scheme or the discretionary scheme, and is suffering energy hardship. Find out the criteria below.
You can apply for a discretionary energy rebate if you meet the following criteria:
- You live in a council tax bands A-D property - if you moved in after 1 April 2022 and are yet to receive the Energy Rebate payment
- You live in a council tax bands E-H property - if you have missed out on a payment under our other schemes and are a low income household