Urgent Telephone 4pm - 8.30am : 01233 331111

Discretionary Energy Rebate Scheme

The government has given local authorities extra funding to support those suffering financial hardship as a result of the rising cost of living. This is called the “discretionary fund”. It's available to all council tax bands, depending upon individual circumstances.

Who will get help

You will automatically qualify to receive £150 if you are in one of the following categories and you have not already received a payment under the Council Tax Energy Rebate scheme:

  • Living in the property you are applying for as your main residence on 1 April 2022; and either of the following
    • In receipt of Council Tax Reduction and your property is in bands E – H, at any point during April 2022; or
    • Living in a property that qualifies for a disabled band reduction, in bands F – H at any point during April 2022.

If you pay by direct debit, you will automatically receive this payment into your bank account.  If you pay by another means, we will write to you in June to explain how you will receive your payment.

You will automatically receive a £35 top up, in addition to the £150, if you are entitled to maximum Council Tax Reduction, and you live in bands A–H, at any point in April 2022.

Do I need to make a claim?

No. If you meet the above criteria, and you:

  • pay by direct debit - you will receive this rebate automatically
  • use other payment methods - we will contact you during June to let you know what to do

Discretionary Energy Rebate

The automatic payments have now been paid, the remaining funds are available for applications from anyone, who has not qualified under the main scheme or the discretionary scheme, and is suffering energy hardship. Find out the criteria, and how to apply, below.

You can apply for a discretionary energy rebate if you meet the following criteria:

  • You live in a Council Tax Bands A-D property - if you moved in after 1 April 2022 and are yet to receive the Energy Rebate payment
  • You live in a Council Tax Bands E-H property - if you have missed out on a payment under our other schemes and are a low income household

Apply for discretionary energy rebate.