Unoccupied Property Undergoing Major Structural Works (Prescribed Class D Discount)
Properties that need major repair work to make them habitable may be eligible for this discount. Each case will be judged upon the physical condition of the property and the work that is needed.
The discount can only apply for up to 12 months. The discount will end once the property becomes occupied or furnished. We will inspect the property before this discount is granted.
You will not qualify if you live in a mobile home or touring caravan on the grounds of the property where the works are being done. This is because the mobile home or caravan is classed as an extension to the property.
Major repair works include structural repairs. The following types of repairs are included:
- Major repairs to roof structures;
- Rebuilding defective chimney stack(s).
- Rebuilding external walls, for example to extend the property.
- Repair/renewal of foundations;
- Underpinning substandard foundations.
- Replacing defective solid floors;
- Replacing defective floor joists.
- Property totally gutted including removing most internal walls;
- Replacing defective ceiling joists;
- Rebuilding defective walls.
The types of repairs and alterations listed below will not qualify a property for an uninhabitable property discount:
- Plumbing or heating;
- Replacement/repairs of bathroom and kitchen or any other fitting/fixtures;
- Timber or damp proof treatments;
- Re-plastering (walls or ceilings);
- Repairs or renewals of services;
- Maintenance, for example re-pointing, window/door replacement;
As of 1 April 2019, properties that have been empty and unfurnished for a total period of two years or more will attract a 100% surcharge. This effectively means the council tax bill will be double.
As of 1 April 2020 any property remaining empty and unfurnished for a period of five years or more attracts a surcharge of 200%. As of 1 April 2021 there will be a 300% surcharge for properties empty and unfurnished for 10 years or more.