Councillor Complaints

Responsibility for considering complaints that local councillors may have breached the Members' Code of Conduct [pdf] 266KB is overseen by the Standards Committee of the Council.

How to make a complaint about a councillor

If you want to complain about the conduct of a member of Ashford Borough Council or a member of one of the parish or town councils in the Ashford borough you must submit a Code of Conduct complaint form to:

The Monitoring Officer
The Directors' Suite, Level 2
Ashford Borough Council
Civic Centre
Tannery Lane
Kent TN23 1PL

Download How to make a Code of Conduct complaint [pdf] 355KB to help you complete the complaint form [pdf] 49KB.

Complaints must relate to conduct covered by the Members' Code of Conduct [pdf] 266KB. If you make a complaint it must explain why you think a member has not followed the Code of Conduct. The Monitoring Officer will assess your complaint. In deciding whether or not a breach of the Code of Conduct has occurred or how to deal with a complaint the Monitoring Officer will have regard to the arrangements for dealing with Code of Conduct complaints [pdf] 140KB.

An important part of the complaints process is the role of the Independent Person. He or she must be consulted and have their views taken into account before the council makes a finding that a member has failed to comply with the Code or decided on action to be taken in respect of a member. At any other stage of the complaints process, the Independent Person may be consulted by the Monitoring Officer and/or the subject member.


The Code of Conduct and the complaints form are available to download from the list below, or paper copies may be obtained from the council's Monitoring Officer at the above address, or telephone 01233 330210, or email or for one to be sent to you.