In 1974, two local professional silversmiths, Andrew Bray and Robin Beresford designed and manufactured Ashford's civic regalia.
These items are comprised of:
- The mace and stand
- The Mayor's badge and chain of office and Deputy Mayor's badge
- The Mayoress and Deputy Mayoress' badges and light chains and cases for the insignia
All the pieces are hand made in sterling standard silver, parcel gilt and leather. The design reflects the amalgamation of the former five urban and rural districts to form the present borough council.
The regalia was commissioned by the following individuals and businesses:
- The mace - Charter Consolidated Services Limited
- The Mayor's robe - Kent Woolgrowers Limited
- The Mayor's hat - Ashford Branch N.F.U
- The Mayor's gloves and jabot - Ashford Cattle Market Company
- The Mayor's badge - The Geering Family
- The Mayor's chain of office - Ashford Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Mayor's jabot - Mrs. Grace Wratten, Kennington
- Deputy Mayor's badge and ribbon - Mr. and Mrs. H. Gibbs
- Mayoress' badge and light chain - Mr. and Mrs Colin Ross-Steward
- Deputy Mayoress' badge and light chain - British Rail, S.E. Division, British Rail Engineering Limited
- Macebearer's robe, hat and gloves - Wye College
- Lady Mayor's hat - Soroptimists International of Ashford
For more information on the borough regalia please contact Member Services on 01233 330564 or email Keith Fearon. See who the current Mayor is.