Important notice: Please note our fees will be increased as of Monday 22nd October 2018

For information on how to obtain fee advice please visit:

Historical building regulation applications

The Building Control team operates a 15 year document retention policy on all building regulation applications. After this period we will continue to keep records of property address, description of work and issue of completion certificate but will not hold personal information.

Applying for building regulations

Multiple paper forms waiting to be filled inIf you want to construct, extend or alter a dwelling or a building, it is likely that you will need to make an application under the building regulations.

Our building control team processes the applications and carries out inspections to ensure that building work satisfies the standards.

Depending on the scale and type of work involved you may use either a full plans application or by submitting a building notice. We can accept applications by post, email to building.control@ashford.gov.uk or by hand at our offices.

Not sure which application you need to submit? Download our application advice [pdf] 68KB

Building regulations form

We now have one form for building notices/full plans applications and regularisation applications (please tick in the appropriate box at the top of the form to indicate the type of application you require).

Ashford Borough Council (ABC) is the data controller for the personal information you provide in this form. ABC’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted at FOI@ashford.gov.uk. Your information will be used to process your building control application and processing is conducted relying upon the GDPR legal basis. Your information may be shared with further third parties if we are required or permitted to do so by law for example, consultation with other regulatory public bodies, or to prevent fraud or the misuse of public funds. Your information will be retained for 15 years. For more information on your rights please see the council’s privacy statement https://www.ashford.gov.uk/.


A building notice application can be submitted for small domestic works and often no plans are needed. However, on occasions we may ask for further information i.e. structural calculations and specifications depending on the type of works. We offer a structural design service for small works and would be happy to provide you with a free no obligation fee quote for this service. Please call our office on 01233 330282 for more details.

Full plans application can be used for any type of work, where you require your drawings to be checked and approved.

A regularisation application is to be used to apply for retrospective approval of work that was previously carried out without building regulations approval.

Demolition notice

This form is to be used where a certain sized building, or part of a building, is to be demolished.

If you are planning to demolish a building it is likely that you will be required to serve a notice on the local authority. This guidance gives advice on how to do this and outlines other important aspects of the demolition process, including which structures might be exempt from a Section 80 Notice.

Part P - electrical safety

Electrical installations are a 'controlled service' under building regulations and a form must be filled in. This form should be submitted along with a full plans application or building notice.

Find a registered electrician: For a register of electricians belonging to the various CPS schemes visit www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk

General guidance: For general advice, guidance and information in easy to understand formats visit www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice

Electronic submissions

Send your building control application form and any plans/correspondence by email to building.control@ashford.gov.uk. Please note we can only accept an email limit of 10mb or less.

The main benefits are:

  1. Free of charge
  2. Can be emailed 24 hours a day 7 days a week
  3. No printing or postage required
  4. Reduces your carbon footprint

Customer Charter

Building Control Customer Charter [pdf] 22KB

Methods of payment accepted for building regulation applications

  • We can accept payment over the phone by credit/debit card.
  • You can pay by cheque made payable to Ashford Borough Council
  • Cash is accepted via the scan coin machines located at the council offices
  • BACS transfer – details upon written request