Gypsies and Travellers

Gypsy and traveller accommodation consultation

Ashford Borough Council is in the process of developing a Gypsy and Traveller Development Plan Document (DPD).

Why is a Development Plan Document needed?

Planning Policy for Traveller Sites (PPTS) requires that local planning authorities identify and update annually a five year supply of deliverable sites for travellers, and to identify a supply of specific, deliverable sites, or broad locations for years 6-10 and where possible years 11-15.

Have your say

Stage one of the process is evidence gathering, which is being done through a Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment (GTAA), which will identify the need for sites, and through an Issues and Options consultation. 

The consultation seeks the views of the Gypsy and Traveller communities, residents and stakeholders, on the issues and options for Gypsy and Traveller policies and site selection in Ashford. The closing date for comments and site submission is 6 April 2018 at 5pm.

To take part, and for further information on the consultation process, please visit our Gypsy and Traveller Accomodation DPD consultation page.

Authorised caravan sites

Ashford has an authorised caravan site managed by the council which is at:

  • Chilmington Caravan Site, Great Chart

Apply for a plot at the Chilmington gypsy and travellers site

For gypsies and travellers coming into the area from other parts of the country there are no authorised stopping places.

Unauthorised encampments

Encampments set up on private land (including highway verges and lay-bys) without the consent of the landowner are termed unauthorised encampments. These are dealt with by housing services. 

Information regarding unauthorised encampments on privately owned land can be found in the Unauthorised Encampments Advice Leaflet [pdf] 2678KB.

Report an unauthorised encampment

Unauthorised developments

Encampments set up without local authority permission on gypsies' or travellers' own land, or on other private land with the permission of the landowner but not the local authority, are termed unauthorised developments. These are dealt with by the council's planning and development team.

Report an unauthorised development Report an unauthorised encampment or development

Further information

For general information about gypsies and travellers visit the Kent County Council website

Find out more information about caravan licensing