Work Placement and Bursary Scheme (2019)
The 2019 work placement will be based in the council’s planning department so would ideally suit someone who sees their future career in town planning and it is likely that you will be studying a qualification that leads to a planning qualification, for example Urban Planning, Architecture, Geography, etc.
We have a track record of growing our own staff and will provide an exceptional work placement to support your programme of study, helping you to embed your learning and apply knowledge and understanding in a practical way.
Key elements of the role:
You will be assisting in providing a high quality, customer-focused planning service in an area of rapid growth. Working with, and supported by, experienced officers to carry out a wide variety of work and building experience in a range of planning work, including:
- The processing of pre-application inquiries and planning applications
- The processing of related appeals
- Handling enquiries from customers
- Supporting enforcement work, including helping with monitoring and investigating alleged breaches of planning conditions and planning controls on major development sites
- Development plan policy research
- Supporting public consultations including at public meetings and working with local politicians
There will also be an opportunity to gain understanding and appreciation of:
- The purpose and application of developer contributions – CIL and s106
- The role of planning as an enabler in delivering growth
- The application of good design in delivering high quality places
The application process:
You must ensure that you meet the conditions of the scheme [docx] 17KB and submit a CV and supporting statement to firstname.lastname@example.org. This will detail the course and educational establishment that you have confirmed a place at (or a conditional offer of a place), a supporting statement highlighting why you should be considered for the work placement scheme and bursary.
- Applications via CV and supporting statement are open until 31 May 2019
- Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by the end of June and invited in for an interview during early July
- Placements in year one commence late July and in future years at the start of July
Please note to be considered for this scheme this must be your first degree and you must have eligibility to work in the UK.