Fundraising is a common method of raising money for charities. There are many different ways that charitable collections can be gathered. Each of these has a different set of rules. The most common forms of collection are listed below.

Street collection

Anyone holding a collection in the street will need to apply for a permit.

House-to-house collection

House-to-house collection (going from door-to-door collecting money or items) also requires a licence from us. If a Home Office Exemption Order has been granted then you won’t need a licence from us.

Direct debit fundraising

Fundraising by direct debit is not currently licensable, but a diary is held by us for Tenterden town centre. The Public Fundraising Regulatory Association (PFRA) hold the diary for Ashford town centre. The PFRA can be contacted on 0207 401 8452.

Private collection 

You must get permission from a landowner or manager if collecting money on private property. Shopping centres would fall under this category. You may also be asked to obtain a street collection permit from us.

Contact us

For further information email the Licensing team.