Park and Write
Victoria Park's Annual Story Writing Competition
Here you will find the information you need to be able to take part in this year's competition.
What is Park and Write?
Park and Write is a competition for anyone interested in writing short works of fiction for children. The competition is open to all ages from five-years-old upwards. There are four age categories for judging and our judges will select three winners in each category. Winning stories will be recorded being read aloud in the park for release on our YouTube channel. There will be a new video released every two weeks leading up to the next competition in summer 2021. Each year we will set a theme for stories to be based around.
Theme for 2020: The Adventures of Erle and Harper, The Victoria Park Stags
You may be aware that we are trying to shine a light on what may have happened to the two large cast iron stags that were gifted to the park along with the Hubert Fountain. We only know that they disappeared at some point in the 1950's or 60's. As part of that activity we are excited to delve into your imagination to find out what the stags have been up to over the last 60 or 70 years.
We've named the stags Erle and Harper after two of the people who helped bring them to Victoria Park. So what have Erle and Harper been up to? Maybe they were the first stags on the moon? Maybe they have been busy meeting residents in our twinned towns in Germany or France? Maybe they've been working for a top secret agency helping guard the Queen? Or maybe they've been recording country music albums in America? Whatever your imagination tells you they've been up to, we want to hear about it!
Support and Deadlines
There are some resources available below to help with inspiration, planning and character development. If would like to volunteer any resources to help support entrants please contact us on email@example.com.
Entries should be received by midnight on Wednesday 23 December 2020. After this time we are unable to accept any more entries. Judging will then take place and the results will be announced on Friday 8 January 2021.
Summary of Details
- The word limit for the competition is 750 words.
- All stories should be based around the theme for the year. The theme for 2020 is 'The Adventures of Erle and Harper, The Victoria Park Stags'.
- Age categories for judging are 5-10, 11-18, 19-40 and 41 upwards.
- There will be three winners selected from each category.
- The winners' stories will be recorded and broadcast on Victoria Park's YouTube channel for all local families to access.
- When you have completed your story please use the form below to submit it to us.
- The deadline for entries is midnight on Wednesday 23 December 2020.
- Winners will be announced on Friday 8 January 2020.
If you have any questions, comments or queries please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reading through your entries!