Why Choose Us?
Local authority building control and approved inspectors
It is important that you choose the right builder to carry out work on your property. It is just as important to choose the right building control service provider.
Building control services are now available from two sources:
- Local Authority Building Control (LABC) – this is the traditional and long established route
- Approved Inspectors – these are private sector companies that are licensed by the government to offer a building control service
There are some differences between the level of service you will receive.
So why choose local authority building control?
We are determined to provide you with the very best service in building control. Whether you are a large developer undertaking a multi-million pound project or a homeowner carrying out alterations to your home, we are totally committed to helping you in any way we can.
We recognise that all our customers have different needs. As a result, it isn't possible to satisfy all of these needs on a single site visit.
Below are some testimonials from previous customers:
"We would once again like to extend our gratitude to you and your team for resolving the matter so promptly and professionally."
– Wayne Brett, Throwley
"Thank you for coming out so promptly to check the garages."
– Christine Kane, Charing
"Extremely pleased with services provided by building control at Ashford, Kent."
– T Lee, Mouchel
We provide extensive pre-application advice at any stage to suit your needs.
We can help with issues such as fire safety design, access issues and escape routes in case of fire. We can also set-up meetings between yourself, other council departments and Kent Fire and Rescue Service.
- Full technical assessment of your scheme within 15 days from validation
- Highly competitive fees
- Receipt of electronic applications/plans
- Formal decision notice issued
- Qualified in-house structural engineer will check any structural details and calculations
- Full formal consultation process with external bodies – Kent Fire and Rescue Service, Southern Water Ltd, etc.
Site inspection service
- Inspection requests made by 10am will be carried out on the same day. If you require a timed visit then you are advised to speak to the surveyor directly
- Inspection notification framework available for each individual project
- Qualified Building Control surveyors who will constantly be looking for cost effective solutions to regulatory challenges and who act with complete impartiality and flexibility
- Extensive and unrivalled experience on every conceivable type of project
- Issue of formal completion certificate when your project satisfies building regulation standards
Building control performance standards
Ashford Borough Council Building Control complies with this government initiative to regulate standards within the profession.
Quality assured service
Our Building Control Team is registered under ISO 9001 2002, which means that we are constantly audited to ensure that we meet the service standards which are set out in our customer charter.
- All our building control surveyors are either professionally qualified and/or possess extensive experience. They regularly attend training seminars to ensure that they are up to date with modern methods of construction and ever-changing legislation
- We have a progressive approach to new materials and methods of construction and can help you obtain the best possible value for money
- We make maximum use of modern technology
- We can guarantee that we will be at your service for many years to come
- We welcome and encourage customer feedback
We also offer additional consultancy services beyond the usual building control function, including:
- Fire risk assessments
- Disabled access audits
- Design and project management
- Energy/ environmental consulting:
- iSBEM (Simplified Building Energy Method) assessments
- Certified BREEAM assessments
- SAP 2009 (Standard Assessment Procedure)
- Review your designs and advise on how to achieve compliance with the minimum standards required in Part L of the building regulations
- Domestic and commercial Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)
- Display Energy Certificates (DEC)
- Area-weighted u-value calculations