Gypsy and Traveller Accomodation DPD
Ashford Borough Council is in the process of developing a Gypsy and Traveller Development Plan Document (DPD).
Why is a Development Plan Document needed?
Planning Policy for Traveller Sites (PPTS) requires that local planning authorities identify and update annually a five year supply of deliverable sites for travellers, and to identify a supply of specific, deliverable sites, or broad locations for years 6-10 and where possible years 11-15.
The DPD will identify a number of sites for potential residential occupation by Gypsies, Travellers and travelling showpeople, and will include topic policies relating to Gypsy and Traveller development.
A DPD is not to be read in isolation from the Local Plan or other planning documents, and the policies and selected sites will need to be those which are the least in conflict with national and local planning policies, and those which are the most acceptable to both the travelling and settled populations. The benefits and disadvantages of the sites which come forward will need to be carefully examined so that sustainability considerations are given particular weight.
Stages of developing the DPD
Stage one of the process is evidence gathering, which is being done through a Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment (GTAA) which will identify the need for sites, and through an Issues and Options consultation. The consultation seeks the views of the Gypsy and Traveller communities, residents and stakeholders, on the issues and options for Gypsy and Traveller policies and site selection in Ashford.
The Issues and Options consultation has the following aims:
- To identify the main issues as they relate to locating sites for Gypsies, Travellers and travelling showpeople
- To seek and obtain suggestions of specific sites which could be considered for allocation in the Submission Document
- To set out a framework for the selection of sites and seek views on the issues and options that have been identified as being important to this process
- To invite comments on the types of site to be provided, ownership and management of the sites, where those sites should be located and any other relevant issues which may arise
Once the GTAA and Issues and Options consultation have been completed, the information gathered will be used to inform a Draft Development Plan document. This draft document will then be subject to consultation and examination in public before it is ready for adoption.
Have your say
How to make comments on the Issues and Options and submit a site for consideration
A digital copy of the Issues and Options, the response forms and site submission forms are available on the consultation portal, where you can make your comments online.
Hard copies are available at the following locations:
- Ashford Borough Council, Civic Centre, Tannery Lane, Ashford, Kent, TN23 1PL
- Ashford Gateway, Church Road, Ashford, Kent, TN23 1AS
- Charing Library, Market Place, Charing, Ashford, TN27 0LR
- Tenterden Gateway, 2 Manor Row, Tenterden, TN30 6HP
- Wye Library, 6 Upper Bridge Street, Wye, Ashford, TN25 5AF
Hard copy representations and site submissions can be sent by post to:
Ashford Borough Council
Kent TN23 1PL
Alternatively, it is also possible to send in your completed representation and site submission forms via email to email@example.com.
Closing date for comments and site submissions
The closing date for submissions is 6 April 2018 at 5pm.