Street Naming and Numbering
It is the responsibility of the council to name and number all new developments in the borough. This includes:
- New developments
- Property/unit conversions/divisions
We are also responsible for approving and making any changes to existing properties.
You need to apply to do any of the following:
- Naming a new road
- Creating new addresses:
- New properties
- Commercial units
- Property conversions/divisions where creating multiple units
- Change your house name
- Formerly add a house name to your numbered property
- Rename an existing street
- Name an existing unnamed street
Full guidance can be found in our Street Naming and Numbering policy.
How to apply
- Complete an application form: SNN Universal App Form and Checklists April 18-19 [pdf] 188KB
- Submit the correct fee
- Supply a location plan of the property/properties, including door accesses where appropriate (Applications received without a location plan will be considered invalid)
- Send to: Street Naming and Numbering
Ashford Borough Council (ABC) is the data controller for the personal information you provide in this form. ABC’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted at FOI@ashford.gov.uk. Your information will be used to process the street naming and numbering application and processing is being conducted relying upon the public interest legal basis under the Public Health Act 1925. No personal information you provide will be published. Your information will be retained as a permanent record. Your information may be shared with third parties (including internal departments) if we are required or permitted to do so by law for example to prevent fraud or the misuse of public funds. For more information on your rights please see the council’s privacy statement https://www.ashford.gov.uk/.
|Type of application||17/18 Fee||18/19 Fee|
|Creation of a new street||£121.00||£124.00|
|Naming/renaming existing street||£259.00||£265.00|
|New property (one plot/unit)||£50.00||£51.00|
|New properties (2-10 plots/units)||£42.00 each plot||£43.00 each plot|
|New properties (over 10 plots/units)||£38.00 each plot||£39.00 each plot|
|Renaming an existing property||£50.00||£51.00|
How to pay
- Cheque made payable to Ashford Borough Council
- Debit/Credit card and calling 01233 331111 option 5
Failure to notify us that a development requires naming and numbering or you decide to use an address other than that issued officially will result in the properties not being formally registered or recognised. This will lead to problems with deliveries of mail, as well as obtaining goods and services to the properties concerned. The reason for this is that Royal Mail will not have the addresses on their database and therefore companies using address management intelligence from the Royal Mail will interpret that the properties do not exist. Royal Mail will only take instruction from us for additions or changes to their dataset. It is therefore vital that the correct procedure is followed.