Urgent Telephone Weekends : 01233 331111

Change of Use

In many cases, a change of use of a building or land does not require planning permission if both the present and proposed uses fall within the same 'class' as defined in the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (and subsequent amendments). It is also possible to change use between some classes without making an application.

Changes to Permitted Development rights have extended the range of changes that can take place without permission from the council. Some will require Prior Notification applications.

Change of use requiring an application

Applications for planning permission are always required for material changes of use involving amusement centres, theatres, scrap yards, petrol stations, car showrooms (except for material changes of use from car showrooms to A1 uses), taxi and car hire businesses and hostels.

Submit an application

Use classes and permitted changes

The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (as amended) puts uses of land and buildings into various categories known as 'Use Classes'. 'Change of use' can occur within the same use class or from one use class to another.

Visit the Planning Portal website for details of specific uses, what classes they fall into and permitted changes.

Contact Us


Planning Help
Ashford Borough Council
Civic Centre
TN23 1PL

Visit us at the Civic Centre, Ashford or Tenterden Gateway.

01233 331111