Urgent Telephone Weekends : 01233 331111

Householder Applications

Do you need planning permission?

Planning permission, in simple terms, is asking the local authority if you can do a certain piece of building work to your home or in your garden.

If you need help to see if you would need planning permission for a household project or extension view the Do I Need Planning Permission? page which has helpful guidance on common household projects.

View helpful guidance on what you need to submit with your householder application, fees and how to produce plans and drawings.

Permitted development

Many home improvement projects are classed as permitted development; meaning they do not require planning permission, subject to certain conditions and limits.

Further information on permitted development.

While it should be possible in most cases to decide whether or not a proposed project qualifies as permitted development, there will inevitably be instances where the decision is less clear cut.

For peace of mind you may choose to apply for a lawful development certificate. This is not the same as planning permission but is proof that your household building work is lawful.

Find out more about lawful development certificates.