Advice for business council tenants
We thought it may be beneficial to you for us to provide you with some general guidance in relation to your responsibilities for your premise/assets during the period of lockdown resulting from COVID-19.
Ashford Borough Council takes health & safety responsibilities very seriously, ensuring that our properties are safe from any risks associated and that these risks are adequately controlled. Therefore, we wanted to share some sources of information with you that you may find helpful in ensuring that you are complying with all the statutory obligations put upon you as a building/asset owner or responsible person.
The typical advice that we have provided below is in line with what we, as an authority, require of our tenants, alongside the obligations and responsibilities made clear in the terms of the contractual agreement/s we have with them.
- General and fire risk assessments have been carried out and advice provided for any substantive risks identified and remedial actions put in place;
- Comply with all health and safety legislation and regulations as appropriate; your landlord (if relevant) may reserve the right to view or request copies of relevant documents from time to time;
- Report all changes of use which may have an effect on health and safety for your landlord;
- Report all visits of inspecting authorities and any improvement, prohibition or informal notices which may be served on you or to your landlord;
- Do not employ any contractor unless they can demonstrate that reasonable steps have been taken to ensure their competence and adherence to safe working practices.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, tenants & operators of Premises must ensure that statutory requirements, whether the building is closed or operating, are being attended to wherever possible or measures put into place to temporarily negate the requirement.
It is understood that there are difficulties in undertaking statutory requirements during the COVID-19 lockdown period. The links below have been provided for information to assist in various areas of compliance during this time:
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE) latest information and advice;
- Gas safety advice;
- Fire safety (BAFE);
- Legionella control;
- Electrical testing (ECA);
- Lifting and pressure equipment.
We are in unprecedented times and must all follow government advice as this continues to be updated throughout.