Urgent Telephone Weekends : 01233 331111

Types of Application

There are three main types of planning application: full, outline and reserved matters, as well as a range of others. We have listed the most common types below.


A full application is the most common, and is the most appropriate form of application for extensions to individual houses (householder applications) or where you wish to change the use of land or buildings. Find out what is required to be submitted with a full application or householder form.


An outline application should be made where you wish to find out whether the development is acceptable in principle before detailed drawings are needed. This type of application is best suited to larger applications where the principle of the development may be controversial rather than smaller applications such as house extensions.

Reserved Matters

A reserved matters application is for the approval of outstanding details e.g. layout, scale, appearance, access and landscaping following approval of an outline planning permission.

Permitted Development

Many home improvement projects are classed as permitted development. This means that they do not require planning permission, subject to certain conditions and limits. More information on Permitted Development can be found on the Planning Portal.

While it should be possible in most cases to decide whether or not a proposed project qualifies for permitted development, there will inevitably be instances where the decision is less clear cut.

For peace of mind you may choose to apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development. This is not the same as planning permission but is proof that your household building work is lawful.

Other common types of application include:

All application forms can be viewed on the planning portal.