Temporary Event Notice
When does an event require a temporary event notice?
You must submit a temporary event notice (TEN) to authorise one or more licensable activities, for example:
- The sale of alcohol - this could be by way of a pay bar or a glass of wine included within the ticket price, or by asking for a donation
- Extension of hours or specifying a licensed activity which is not currently included on an existing premises licence
- The provision of hot food and hot drinks between 11pm and 5am
- The provision of regulated entertainment which includes: plays, films, indoor sporting events, boxing/wrestling, live music; recorded music, performance of dance
Applying for a temporary event notice
Please ensure you read the following guidance carefully before submitting your TEN:
Two copies of the completed form need to be sent to our licensing team, together with the fee of £21.00. The fee can be paid By one of the following methods:
- Cheque made payable to Ashford Borough Council
- Paying by cash or card in the self service machines in reception at The Civic Centre Tannery Lane
- Calling 01233 331111 to make payment over the phone by card with a Customer Service representative
Please note that your application will not be considered complete until payment is received. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure payment is made promptly.
One copy will be given to our environmental protection team, the other used by our Licensing team. A further copy must be sent to the police.
Download the temporary event notice form [pdf] 728KB, complete it and email it to Licensing. If you prefer you can send your copies in the post to us.
Left it too late?
You can still submit a late TEN up to five (5) working days before the event. Please ensure you read information on making late notices [pdf] 33KB before submitting your late TEN.
Two copies of the completed form need to be sent to our licensing team, together with the fee. One copy will be given to our environmental protection team, the other used by our licensing team. A further copy must be sent to the police.
For further information please email the Licensing team.
Or send your paperwork to our postal address:
Ashford Borough Council
Kent TN23 1PL
Temporary Event Notice FAQs
|What can a TEN cover?||
One off event involving:
|How can I pay?||
|How can I submit a TEN?||
|How much notice do I need to give for a TEN?||
|How do I know if the premises is within your borough?||The premises must be located within our borough (who you pay council tax to). You can find your local council.|
|How much is the fee?||£21.00 per event.|
|How old do I need to be to apply for a TEN?||18 years of age or over.|
|How many people does a TEN cover?||499 people.|
|How many TEN’s can a premises have?||15 in a calendar year covering no more than 21 days in total.|
|What is the maximum period of time one TEN can cover?||7 days.|
|If my TEN goes after midnight how many days is this?||It counts as 2 days.|
|Can we give away alcohol without needing a TEN?||Yes but you cannot ask for a donation.|
|If the ticket includes a 'free' drink does this need a TEN?||Yes, a TEN is required.|
|Do I need to be personal licence holder to have a TEN?||No you don’t, but non-personal licence holders can only have 5 TEN’s within a calendar year.|
|How many TEN’s can a personal licence holder apply for?||50 within a calendar year.|