Business Rates Payment Problems
Get in touch at the earliest possible stage if you are having financial difficulties so that we can work with you and put an arrangement in place if it is appropriate to do so. You must pay your business rates bill on or before the due date shown on your bill. If you do not do so, we will take recovery action against you which may incur you costs.
If you have difficulty paying your bill, please contact a business rates officer on 01227 862316 or email email@example.com
Please send any written correspondence to:
Ashford Borough Council
Kent TN23 1PL
Where bills remain unpaid the council can take further action against those who owe it money once a liability order has been issued by the Magistrates Court. This action would involve the council instructing a company to secure payment from you. You will have probably heard these companies referred to as bailiffs. However, as of 6 April 2014, under government changes, they are known as Enforcement Agents.
The new regulations include:
- The introduction of a seven-day notice of enforcement, designed to encourage early payment or an additional opportunity for those who owe the council money to seek advice
- Changes to the days and hours when enforcement action can take place
- Changes to how an enforcement agent may access a property
- Making it compulsory for the enforcement agents to give certain information when a ‘controlled goods agreement’ is made
- How the sale of any goods seized will be handled
- A new set of fees that enforcement agents must use
These regulations can be read online:
- The Taking Control of Goods Regulations 2013
- The Taking Control of Goods (Fees) Regulations 2014
- The Taking Control of Goods Commercial Rent Arrears Recovery The Certification of Enforcement Agents Regulations 2014 [pdf]
- The Taking Control of Goods Commercial Rent Arrears Recovery The Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007 (Consequential, Transitional and Saving Provision) Order 2014 [pdf]
The three stages of business rates enforcement action
- Stage 1 – This results in a fee of £75 for each instruction that is passed by the council to an Enforcement Agent
- Stage 2 – A fee of £235 covers all work carried out but a further charge of 7.5% of any debt value over £1,500 will also be applied
- Stage 3 – A fee of £110 plus 7.5% of any debt value over £1,500
The agents listed below are authorised to act on behalf of Ashford Borough Council. Always quote your account number when making contact with an Enforcement Agent. Once instructed, the Enforcement Agent takes full responsibility for collecting the debt and it is the council's decision not to interfere with their operations.
Stanford & Green Limited
Rossendales Ltd (Marston Group)
Sign up to business rates e-billing so that your invoices are sent by email rather than in the post.