I have been offered a council property – what happens next?
We try to keep the time a property is empty between tenants as short as possible. Once any urgent repairs have been carried out you will be contacted by an area manager who will arrange for you to view the property within the next few days. If you accept the property you will be able to collect the keys on the Friday between 2pm and 3pm and will become responsible for paying rent from the following Monday.
What happens at the viewing?
- You will need to bring two forms of identification including one with a photo. These can include passport, driving licence, or a utility bill with your name and address
- This will be your opportunity to have a good look round the property inside and out. The area manager will be happy to answer any questions you have
- The area manager will explain the terms of the tenancy and give you the Tenants Handbook [pdf] 7786KB
- You will be shown where the stopcock is for your property
- You will be shown where the gas and electricity meters are in your new property and the officer will take meter readings
- You will need to arrange a "turn on and test" for the heating system - this will be explained at the viewing
- If having viewed the property you decide to refuse the property you will be asked to complete a refusal form
What happens next?
- You will need to go to Civic Centre between 2pm and 3pm on the Friday following your viewing to collect the keys if they were not given to you at the viewing
- Your tenancy will commence from the date you collect your keys
- If you pay rent you will be asked to pay 2 weeks rent in advance prior to collecting your keys or you will be asked to complete a new Housing Benefit claim form online.
- If you are transferring from another Ashford Borough Council property you will need to hand in your keys for that property by 12 noon on the coming Monday or you will be charged for a further week's rent
What else do I need to do?
- You need to arrange for your gas and electricity supply. Your area manager will give you details on how to find out who currently provides these services
- You are strongly advised to arrange Home contents insurance for your new home
- If you are transferring from another Ashford Borough Council property you will need to hand in your keys the following Monday at 12 noon from when you collect you keys or you will be charged for a further week's rent
If you further questions please contact the Housing Services team on 01233 330688 or email the team.