Starting A Food Business
There is a lot to consider when running a food business. We can offer guidance and give you access to training and resources.
Food Business Registration
- Registration is a legal requirement and applies to most types of food business.
- Food businesses include catering businesses run from home and mobile or temporary premises, such as stalls and vans.
- Businesses have to register at least 28 days before opening
- Registration is free.
- To register and for more information please visit our Food Business Registration page.
An important part of running a food business is ensuring that you and your staff are properly trained.
Food safety management systems
It is a legal requirement that all food businesses operate a documented food safety management system. This must be sufficient enough for the nature and size of your business.
We recommend the Food Standard Agency (FSA) pack, Safer Food Better Business (SFBB). The pack helps you to develop a food safety management system suited to your own catering or retail operation.
Visit our Safer Food, Better Business page for more information.
- Starting up: Your first steps to running a catering business – this useful booklet has been developed by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) and is available in a variety of languages
- View our Workplace Advice Note
- View our Staff & Customer Sanitary Accommodation & Washing Facilities Advice Note
- Visit the FSA Business Guidance webpage
Get in touch with us for help with planning your business. We can provide access to training and resources and it could cost you more money in the long run if you don't contact us.
It is good sense to serve food that is safe to eat. Good food hygiene helps prevent food poisoning and protects your reputation.
If you would like further information on starting or taking over a food business please email us. It would be helpful if you could provide us with full details of your enquiry, including the address of the premises concerned.