Food Safety Policy
Our policy is to ensure that all human food that is sold, produced, stored, distributed, handled or consumed in the borough has no risk to the health and safety of the consumer.
The main reason for our policy is to ensure businesses comply with the food safety legislation and to reduce harm to health.
The policy describes the circumstances when various enforcement actions will be taken. It has been developed to ensure that our approach is:
- Consistent in order to ensure that businesses are treated in the same way and that there is a level playing field;
- Proportionate to ensure that activity is balanced between giving advice and inspection;
- Targeted to focus resources on high-risk businesses with a lighter touch for compliant ones;
- Accountable in order to ensure that businesses and the public are better able to scrutinise how we operate;
- Transparent to ensure others understand our methods of work and to show how we help businesses ensure compliance.
- Download our Food Safety Policy [pdf] 646KB (which incorporates our enforcement and sampling policy)
- View our Food Law Enforcement Policy Summary
If you would like further information on our food safety policy please email the Environmental Health team.