Urgent Telephone Weekends : 01233 331111

Taxi Operator

You will need a private hire operator's licence if you're looking to carry out pre-booked private hire work, such as airport transfers, giving lifts to hen/stag nights, etc.

You may need to apply for planning permission if you want to run your business from home. Visit our Planning for Business pages for more information about planning.

You must read our Taxi Licensing Policy before applying for a licence.


Our taxi licensing fees can be found on our Taxi Licence Fees page.

Apply for a private hire operator's licence

  • Before making your application you may need to complete a Disclosure and Barring (DBS) form. If you already hold a current taxi driver licence with us, you can submit your application without the DBS form. The DBS certificate must be dated within one month of the application. 
  • Please note that with effect from 21 December 2020, the applicant will be required to provide a Basic Disclosure from the DBS. Where a company holds the licence, each director will be required to submit the basic disclosures. However where the applicant/director is also a driver they will not be required to submit a basic disclosure as the drivers Enhanced Disclosure and DBS Update Service will apply.
  • The applicant, or each company director (in the event that a company holds the licence) shall then submit to us on an annual basis disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service within 30 days of the annual anniversary of grant of the licence. The basic disclosure certificate must be dated within one month of submission. Note that applicants and directors who hold a private hire licence with us are exempt from this requirement.
  • You'll need to complete an Application For A Private Hire Operator’s Licence [pdf] 76KB. Submit it with the appropriate fee to Licensing Department, Civic Centre, Tannery Lane, Ashford, TN23 1PL or email the Licensing team.

Contact us 

Email the Licensing team.