Deputy Principal Solicitor
Salary from £50,523 to £54,615 pa
Plus lease car subsidy or cash alternative of £3,050 pa
Ashford Borough Council is looking to recruit a Deputy Principal Planning Lawyer as soon as possible. This is an exciting new permanent role for a Planning Lawyer looking to further their career in the public sector, and would provide an excellent opportunity to move to the next level. The council is working on a plethora of interesting and challenging matters, in particular a large number of innovative projects and major developments including the South Ashford Garden Community. The quality of work available is exceptional, where the successful candidate will be involved in major projects from the outset. If you are looking to join a local authority offering interesting work, based in a highly attractive part of the country and with excellent connections to London and the coast and the Continent, this could be the role for you.
The successful Deputy Principal Planning Lawyer will need to be a qualified Solicitor/Barrister/CILEX and hold a current practising certificate. Official duties listed in the job description can be found below:
- Provide a specialist legal service to the council’s planning and development service,
- Advise on Large-scale development and infrastructure matters,
- Draft and negotiate complex and/or high value S.106 agreements for complex and major strategic developments,
- Act as the legal representative at Local Plan examinations, public inquiries and appeals,
- Attend and advise planning committee meetings on a rota basis,
- Advise on and prepare planning-related cases for Court, Public Inquiry and appeal hearings and instruct Counsel, and personally attend Court, Public Inquiries and Hearings as required as advocate or with Counsel as appropriate,
- Deputise for the Principal Solicitor,
- Provide line management and supervision to a small number of legal professionals including performance appraisals and development.
Ashford Borough Council are seeking candidates with a drive to deliver the best possible legal service, and a sound knowledge of planning law. Previous management experience is not essential, and this would be an excellent role for someone looking to step up into a more senior position and join a collegiate, friendly work environment in the council’s Legal Service.
The council also offers the following:
- A Joining Bonus of up to £5,460 – a one off payment to be paid in first months’ salary
- If relevant, a relocation package on joining.
- Hybrid working - the council is committed to offering a long-term flexible working arrangement to attract and retain staff.
- Free car parking at the council’s civic centre offices.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01233 330205
Please send your CV and supporting statement to email@example.com.