Deputy Principal Solicitor
LAW Absolute are delighted to be working exclusively on a Deputy Principal Planning Lawyer vacancy with Ashford Borough Council.
Ashford Borough Council are looking to recruit a Deputy Principal Planning Lawyer as soon as possible. This is an exciting new permanent role for an experienced Planning Lawyer looking to further their career in the public sector. The council are working on a plethora of interesting and challenging matters, in particular a large number of innovative projects and major developments including the South Ashford Garden Community. The quality of work available is exceptional, where the successful candidate will be involved in major projects from the outset. If you are looking to join a local authority offering interesting and complex work, based in a highly attractive part of the country and with excellent connections to London and the coast and the Continent, this could be the role for you.
The successful Deputy Principal Planning Lawyer will need to be a qualified Solicitor/Barrister/CILEX and hold a current practising certificate. Official duties listed in the job description can be found below:
- Provide a specialist legal service to the council’s planning and development service,
- Advise on Large- scale development and infrastructure matters,
- Draft and negotiate complex and/or high value S.106 agreements for complex and major strategic developments,
- Act as the legal representative at Local Plan examinations, public inquiries and appeals,
- Attend and advise planning committee meetings on a rota basis,
- To advise on and prepare planning-related cases for Court, Public Inquiry and appeal hearings and instruct Counsel, and personally to attend Court, Public Inquiries and Hearings as required as advocate or with Counsel as appropriate,
- To provide (as part of a rota with other senior lawyers) Bank holiday weekend cover in respect of new unauthorised caravan sites, for a maximum of 2 bank holiday weekends a year, for which additional payment will be made,
- Deputise for the Principal Solicitor,
- Provide line management and supervision to a small number of legal professionals including performance appraisals and development.
Ashford Borough Council are seeking candidates with a drive to deliver the best possible legal service, a sound knowledge of planning law and ideally some previous management experience. This would be an excellent role for someone looking to step up into a more senior management position and join a collegiate, friendly work environment in the council’s Legal Service.
The council also offers the following:
- An enhanced recruitment payment of up to 10% of starting salary.
- If relevant, a relocation package on joining.
- Hybrid working model - the council are committed to offering a long-term flexible working arrangement to attract and retain staff.
- Free car parking at the council’s civic centre offices.
If you would like to receive further information on the role, please send an updated version of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing deadline for applications is Thursday 30 June 2022.