Urgent Telephone Weekends : 01233 331111

Accidents At Work

The law states that certain work-related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences must be reported.

The information allows the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the local council to identify where and how risks arise, and to investigate serious accidents. We can then give employers, or others concerned, advice on how to reduce injury, ill health and accidental loss.

Reporting accidents, illnesses or dangerous occurrences

You must make a report if an incident is listed on the HSE website.

How to make a report

You can make a RIDDOR report via the HSE website.

What happens once we receive an accident report?

If we are the enforcing body then we investigate the accident. If not, then we refer it to the relevant enforcement authority.

The investigation will aim to find out what happened. This will involve speaking to anyone who has information and may take several weeks to complete.

Once all the evidence and information has been gathered, a decision will be made about the most appropriate course of action based on the findings, health and safety legislation and our enforcement policy.