Temporary Event Notice

When does an event require a temporary event notice?

You must submit a temporary event notice (TEN) to authorise one or more licensable activities. Examples of which include:

  • The sale of alcohol – this could be by way of a pay bar, a glass of wine included within the ticket price, or by asking for a donation
  • Extension of hours or specifying a licensed activity which is not currently included on an existing premises licence
  • The provision of hot food and hot drinks between 23:00 and 05:00.
  • The provision of regulated entertainment, which includes: plays, films, indoor sporting events, boxing/wrestling, live music, recorded music, or performance of dance between 23:00 and 08:00

Applying for a temporary event notice

Please use our new online Temporary Event Notice Application Form.

Following your submission a copy will be shared with our environmental protection team, whilst another will be used by our Licensing team. A further copy will also be sent to Kent Police via e-mail to licensing.east.division@kent.pnn.police.uk.

Left it too late?

You can still submit a late TEN up to five (5) clear working days before the event, not including the day of submission or the day of the event. Please ensure you read the information on making late notices before submitting your late TEN.

  • Late temporary event notices can be submitted and they must give 5 clear working days before the event date.

  • There is a limit of 10 late notices for personal licence holders and two late notices for non-personal licence holders per calendar year. These count towards the total number of temporary event notices.

  • If either the police or environmental protection object to an event then it will not go ahead and a counter notice will be issued.

Contact us

For further information please email the Licensing team.

Frequently Asked Questions

+ What can a TEN cover?

A TEN covers one-off events that involve selling alcohol, providing late night refreshment (hot food and drink between 2300-0500), playing some music (contact us for more information) or extending the hours that a premises is already licensed for.

+ How can I pay?

You can pay by credit or debit card whilst completing our online application.

+ How much notice do I need to give for a TEN?

A normal TEN must be submitted with 10 clear working days' notice (not including the day of event or the day it is submitted). A late TEN must be submitted with no less than 5 clear working days' notice (not including the day of event or the day it is submitted).

+ How do I know if the premises is within your borough?

The premises must be located within our borough (who you pay your council tax to). You can find your local council.

+ How much is the fee?

£21.00 per event.

+ How many TENs can a premises have?

15 in a calendar year, covering no more than 21 days in total.

+ What is the maximum period of time one TEN can cover?

Seven days - a temporary event can last for no more than 168 hours and the premises is limited to a maximum of 21 days in any one calendar year. There must be at least 24 hours between events.

+ Can we give away alcohol without needing a TEN?

Yes, but you cannot ask for a donation.

+ Do I need to be a personal licence holder to have a TEN?

No, you don't, but non-personal licence holders can only have five TENs within a calendar year.