Distributing Free Literature
To distribute printed matter means handing it out or making it available to members of the public. This includes placing it on, or attaching it to, vehicles (this is not allowed in the controlled area). However, it does not include putting it inside a building or letterbox. Please note there are a few exemptions. Our Ashford Map [pdf] 810KB and Tenterden Map [pdf] 653KB show the areas in the Ashford and Tenterden town centres where the restrictions are in place.
Apply for a permit
- Please read the information on this page carefully before applying.
- Applications for consent must be made at least 14 days before the required date of distribution and accompanied by the appropriate fee listed on the application form. Registered charities and certain organisations are exempt from paying fees.
- Complete an Application For A Permit To Distribute Free Printed Matter 2023 [pdf] 135KB.
- Pay the appropriate fee listed on the application form by telephoning 01233 331111.
- Email the completed application form to the Licensing team, along with a copy of the document you wish to distribute.
- You can then distribute free literature.
The maximum penalty for distributing free literature without a permit is £2,500. As an alternative to prosecution a fixed penalty notice of £75 may be issued.
A permit for the distribution of free printed matter is NOT required when made:
- On by or on behalf of a charity (where the printed matter relates to the charity and is for charitable purposes).
- For political purposes.
- For the purposes of a religion or belief.
For further information please email the Licensing Team.