Urgent Telephone Weekends : 01233 331111

Claiming Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction is a means-tested benefit. You can apply for Council Tax Reduction if you fall into any of the following criteria: 

  • You own your home (either outright or you have a mortgage);
  • You rent your home;
  • You are the person whose name is on the council tax bill. If you are jointly responsible for the council tax we may be able to help with your share of the bill;
  • You are on a low income;
  • You are 18 years of age.

When will I not be entitled to claim council tax reduction?

In some cases you won’t be entitled to claim Council Tax Reduction. You will be unable to claim this benefit if you fall into any of the following criteria:

  • You are not responsible for paying the council tax bill;
  • You are a full-time student;
  • Either you, or your partner, or both of you together, have more than £10,000 in savings or £16,000 for Pension Age claimants;
  • You are an asylum seeker, unless you've been given refugee status or indefinite or exceptional leave (also called discretionary or humanitarian leave) to remain in the United Kingdom;
  • You have been admitted to the United Kingdom on the condition that you have 'no recourse to public funds'. Council tax reduction is a public fund, so you may not claim it if this condition was applied to you;
  • You are a sponsored immigrant and have lived here for less than five years;
  • You are in the United Kingdom illegally or your permission to stay has run out. Find out if this applies to you.

How do I claim council tax reduction?

You can apply for council tax reduction by submitting an online claim form. You can also estimate your entitlement to council tax reduction using our online benefits calculator.

View our Council Tax Reduction Scheme document [pdf] 1181KB for more information. Please email accessibility@ashford.gov.uk if you require this information in an accessible format.

I don't think that I am eligible to claim council tax reduction, is there anything else I can do to reduce my council tax bill?

As of 1 April 2017 second adult rebate is only available for claimants who are of pension age.

If your home has been adapted to meet the needs of a disabled person then you may qualify for Council Tax Reduction. The disabled person must live at the property. This is known as 'disabled persons relief'. Apply for disabled persons relief.

Information about other discounts can also be found by visiting discounts and exemptions page.

Page 2 of 2