Change Of Circumstances
If your circumstances change, you should tell us about the changes as soon as possible. This includes changes relating to the people who live in your home with you. It is important that you provide details of the change, the date the change occurred and proof where appropriate.
To advise us of a change you can use the change of circumstances form. If you are requested to provide supporting documentary evidence in respect of your benefit claim you can do so by completing our online form and attaching the documents.
What sort of things do I need to tell you about?
The following list gives examples of changes you need to tell us about:
- A change to where you live
- A change to the amount of rent you pay
- A change to who lives with you, anyone moving in or out of your home on a temporary or permanent basis
- The death of someone who lives with you. If you are now the sole occupant you will be entitled to a council tax discount
- A change in circumstances of someone who lives with you
- If you stop or start work
- A change in your wages, private pension or any other income you receive
- If you stop getting child benefit for someone
- If you start or stop receiving income support or job seekers' allowance
- If you start or stop receiving any other benefit
- If your capital, such as savings and investments, alters
This is not an exhaustive list, these are only examples of changes you need to tell us about. If you are in any doubt whether we need to know or not, give us the details. We can then decide whether your benefit will be affected and tell you what to do next.
If you are moving you will need to advise the council tax section of your move using the change of address form.
Landlords can also advise us of a change of occupancy to their property
If you are moving out of the area and have been claiming benefit within Ashford Borough Council's area you will need to complete the change of circumstances form.
If you are moving within Ashford Borough Council's area and wish to continue to claim benefit you will need to complete the housing benefit and council tax reduction change of address form.
If you are moving from one Ashford Borough Council property to another Ashford Borough Council property you will need to complete the change of circumstances form.
What happens if I don't tell you?
If you do not tell us about a change of circumstances within one calendar month of the change, and the change results in an increase in your housing benefit and/or council tax support, then you could lose out on money. The council will only apply changes which increase your benefit entitlement from the time you tell us about them.
If you do not tell us about a change of circumstances within one calendar month of the change, and the change results in a decrease in your housing benefit and/or council tax reduction, you may have to repay overpaid benefit. The council will apply changes which decrease your benefit entitlement from the date they actually happened.
If you are not sure whether a change will affect your housing benefit and council tax reduction – tell us anyway.