Change Of Circumstances
Please let us know as soon as possible if your circumstances change. This includes changes to the people you live with. Please provide details of the change, the date the change happened and any applicable proof.
If you are requested to provide supporting documentary evidence for your benefit claim you can do so by completing our online form and attaching the documents.
What sort of things do I need to tell you about?
The following list gives examples of changes you need to tell us about:
- A change to where you live;
- A change to the amount of rent you pay;
- A change to who lives with you, anyone moving in or out of your home on a temporary or permanent basis;
- The death of someone who lives with you. If you are now the sole occupant you will be entitled to a council tax discount;
- A change in circumstances of someone who lives with you;
- If you stop or start work;
- A change in your wages, private pension or any other income you receive;
- If you stop getting child benefit for someone;
- If you start or stop receiving income support or job seekers' allowance;
- If you start or stop receiving any other benefit;
- If your capital, such as savings and investments, alters.
This is not an exhaustive list, these are only examples of changes you need to tell us about. If you are in any doubt whether we need to know or not, give us the details. We can then decide whether your benefit will be affected and tell you what to do next.
Complete our change of address form to let us know that you are moving.
Landlords can also advise us of a change of occupancy to their property
If you are moving out of the area and have been claiming benefit within Ashford Borough Council's area you will need to complete the change of circumstances form.
If you are moving within Ashford Borough Council's area and wish to continue to claim benefit you will need to complete the housing benefit and council tax reduction change of address form.
If you are moving from one Ashford Borough Council property to another Ashford Borough Council property you will need to complete the change of circumstances form.
What happens if I don't tell you?
You must tell us about your new circumstances within one calendar month of the change. You could lose out on money if you do not, and the change results in an increase to your housing benefit or council tax reduction. If you tell us after one month of the date of change, we will only apply changes to increase your benefit entitlement from when you tell us about your new circumstances.
You may have to repay overpaid benefit if the changes results in a decrease to your housing benefit or council tax reduction. We will apply changes that decrease your benefit entitlement from the date they actually happened.
If you are not sure whether a change will affect your housing benefit and council tax reduction – tell us anyway.