Urgent Telephone 4pm - 8.30am : 01233 331111

Brexit Guidance

As a council we have been working for some time on identifying the potential impacts and opportunities which a 'no deal' Brexit scenario could present to the delivery of council services, and to our residents and businesses. A Brexit deal has been agreed In principle with the EU. Both the UK and the EU need to approve and sign the withdrawal agreement.

If the withdrawal agreement is not signed by the UK and the EU, the UK could still leave with no deal. There are many ways in which you can prepare your business for the future and below is a list of information sources that will assist you. Our Business News section will also be updated with further details and advice on what assistance is available.

UK government

The UK government website provides the most up to date information on Brexit, with specific advice on a 'no deal' situation, business guidance and much more.

Kent Invicta Chamber of Commerce

The Kent Invicta Chamber of Commerce website has created its own Brexit Resource Hub.

Federation of Small Businesses (FSB)

The FSB has produced a Small Business Brexit Pack to provide information and help with contingency planning.

Kent County Council

The county council has a Brexit resource centre, containing:

Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has advice for SME businesses that transfer personal data overseas.


The government have released guidance that explains what goods vehicle operators need to do to carry out international road haulage from 1 January 2021. This includes:

  • Carrying the right operator licence
  • Having the right permits - you should apply for ECMT permits in case they're needed. Applications for ECMT permits for 2021 will be open between 2 November-20 November 2020
  • Registering your vehicle trailers to take them abroad
  • Applying for a keeper's certificate for an abnormal load trailer
  • Carrying your vehicle registration documents
  • Using the 'Check an HGV is ready to cross the border' service, which will also allow you to apply for a Kent Access Permit. This service will be operational by December
  • Displaying a GB sticker
  • Contacting your insurer for Green Cards at least six weeks before they're needed
  • Checking what happens if your vehicle is involved in an accident
  • Checking what your drivers need to do to drive in the EU professionally

The Department for Transport is opening an advice site at the Ashford International Truck Stop, Waterbrook Ave, Ashford TN24 0GB, that hauliers and drivers of heavy goods vehicles can visit for in-person advice on:

  • new rules and documents needed to move goods between the UK and EU from 1 January 2021
  • how to prepare for the changes
  • how to use the new Check an HGV service

You can read more about changes to international road haulage by visiting the government website

Page 1 of 7