The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 is the current registration system for scrap metal dealers.
Every scrap metal dealer needs to have a licence. Operating without one is a criminal offence.
There are two types of licence:
- Site licence – This is required by all sites that commercially store scrap metal. A site manager has to be named for each site. This licence allows the licensee to transport scrap metal to and from those sites from any local authority area.
- Collector’s licence – This allows the licensee to operate as a collector in the area of the issuing local authority. It does not allow the collector to operate in any other local authority area, so a separate licence has to be obtained from each council where the collector wants to operate. The licence does not authorise the licensee to operate a site – they will need a site licence to do this.
You can only hold one type of licence per local authority at any one time. This means you can only have either a site or a collector’s licence at the same time from one council.
The definition of a scrap metal dealer now includes motor salvage operators and the provisions in the Vehicles (Crime) Act 2001.
***Alert for scrap collectors (January 2020)*** We are aware of an organisation who are claiming that collectors who collect by means of appointment do not require a licence, but should register with an organisation called the 'National Metal Agency'. We have received advice on this matter which has confirmed that this advice is incorrect and could leave collectors at risk of prosecution. Additionally it has been noted that the 'National Metal Agency' referenced is not a government, industry, or police organisation and registration with them has no bearing on the requirements of the Act.
Download application form and further guidance
- Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013
- Local Government Guide to Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013
- Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 - Supplementary Home Office guidance
- Application or renewal for a scrap metal licence [pdf] 447KB
- Application Guidance Notes
- Prescribed documents and information required to verify a sellers name and address
| Replacement licence