Welfare Intervention Officers

Here to help you!

Our Welfare Intervention Officers work to support people who need help with any housing or benefit related issues. They can give you practical advice and signpost you to other helpful organisations.  They can help you complete any council forms online if you’re unable to do it without assistance

They can refer you to specialist organisations who can help you with specific finance queries or help returning to work. They can also help with the following issues:

  • Council Tax advice, including Council Tax debt advice
  • Claiming Council Tax reduction or housing benefit
  • Claiming Discretionary Housing Payments or Council Tax Exceptional Circumstances Payments
  • General housing advice, including advice regarding rent arrears 
  • Referrals for homelessness advice
  • General advice around claiming other benefits and support, such as Universal Credit, Foodbank vouchers, and other Department for Work and Pension benefits

Struggling to pay your Council Tax?

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax there may be several options available to you.  The Welfare Intervention Officers can help explain your options, and help you apply for any support you may be entitled too.  Some example of what can be put in place if you are struggling are:

  • If your savings are below £10,000 (£16,000 for pensioners) you may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction. To estimate your entitlement visit the Entitled To website.
  • If you do qualify for help towards paying your Council Tax you can claim online.
  • If your savings are above £10,000, or you don't qualify for Council Tax Reduction, but your income has dropped or you are experiencing cash flow problems you can contact us to discuss your instalments. For example, if you don't already have your instalments spread into February and March, this can be considered. 
  • To discuss your Council Tax instalments please email the revenues team
  • If you are still struggling to make payments, you can make an application for an Exceptional Circumstances Payment. You don't need to qualify for Council Tax Reduction to make a claim for Exceptional Circumstances Payment.
  • If you would like to talk through your options our Welfare Intervention Officers can help.

You can also get advice and support from organisations other than the council. The following organisations can offer advice: 

Kent County Council's Support and Assistance Servicescan help anyone experiencing exceptional pressures or a major emergency. The KCC service is for home essentials. You can find out more about the service and complete an online application form.

So if you need advice or support from the Council's Welfare Intervention Officers – don't delay, contact us today!

Timetable of Drop in Sessions

Welfare Intervention Officers run weekly drop in sessions, where you can turn up for advice and support with no appointment needed.

  • Mondays – 10am - 11:30am – drop in session specifically aimed at refugees. One You shop, Ashford Town Centre
  • First Wednesday of every month 1pm – 4pm - drop in at One You shop, Ashford Town Centre
  • Last Friday of every month 10am - 12.00pm, Salvation Army, Cudworth Road
  • Second Friday of every month 10am - 12pm, RBL office Church Road Legion House TN23