Further Information for the Armed Forces Community
Help for members of the Armed Forces community to find information on a number of topics
N.B. this list is not exhaustive.
- Ministry of Defence
- Armed Forces websites
- Armed Forces charities
- Health and wellbeing
- Advice and services
Ministry of Defence
- Ministry of Defence
- The Armed Forces Covenant The Covenant is a promise from the nation to those who serve.
- Support services for military and defence personnel and their families Healthcare, housing and support services available for military personnel.
- Service Personnel and Veterans Agency Providing pay, pension and support services to military personnel and the veterans community, directly serving around 900,000 members of the armed forces community. SPVA is an executive agency of the Ministry of Defence.
- Support for war veterans Find out about legacy health, recognition, return to civilian life, support from the voluntary sector, commemoration and payment schemes.
Armed Forces websites
- 11th Infantry Brigade and HQ South East is one of the Army's seven Adaptable Force Brigades comprising of Regular and Reserve units. The Brigade is the Army regional point of contact for the eight counties of the South East of England.
- 36 Engineer Regiment is a Force Support Engineer Regiment, based at Invicta Park Barracks in Maidstone.
- 103 Battalion REME are Reserve Engineers for London and the South East. 133 Field Company is based at the Army Reserve Centre in Ashford.
- The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (The Tigers) are the infantry regiment of choice for the South-East of England. 3rd Battalion (3PWRR) is the Army Reserve Battalion of the Regiment, with the HQ Company based in Canterbury and C Company based in Fort Clarence in Rochester.
- The Royal Gurkha Rifles are a unique unit in the Army with a reputation of being amongst the finest and most feared soldiers in the world. 1st Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles (1RGR) is based at Sir John Moore Barracks in Shorncliffe, Folkestone.
- Hawke Division is a satellite unit of HMS President (the Royal Naval Reserve unit associated with London) based in Medway.
Armed Forces charities
- Army Benevolent Fund - ABF The Soldiers' Charity Lifetime support to serving and retired soldiers and their families.
- BLESMA A national charity that directly supports Service men and women who have lost limbs and the use of limbs or the loss of eyesight.
- Blind Veterans UK Life beyond sight loss.
- Charity Choice More ways to give. This website provides information on over 160,000 registered charities, including all charities registered in England and Wales.
- Civvy Street Information and resources to help you make the transition from the armed forces to civilian life.
- Combat Stress Veterans mental health charity.
- Help for Heroes Practical, direct support for our wounded.
- Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund The RAF's leading welfare charity.
- RBLI Royal British Legion Industries provide treatment, training and support to the Armed Forces community.
- Royal British Legion Shoulder to Shoulder with all who Serve.
- Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity Giving a better quality of life for serving and former naval personnel.
- SSAFA Lifelong support for our Forces and their families.
- Veterans UK Bringing together services for veterans.
Health and wellbeing
- Ashford Clinical Commissioning Group For information on local health services in the Ashford borough area including access to GPs and dentists
- Big White Wall an online early intervention service for people in psychological distress
- Kent and Medway Armed Forces Network A new network that provides information about free at the point of access mental health services for ex-military personnel across Kent and Medway
- NHS Choices The online 'front door' to the NHS. It is the country's biggest health website and gives all the information you need to make choices about your health
- NHS Military healthcare Healthcare information for military personnel and veterans, including getting treatment and contacts. Covers Hospital Care; Rehabilitation; Mental Health Services and Veterans
- Samaritans A confidential emotional support service
- Benefits and Council Tax Advice on who can claim benefits, what you can claim, advice on housing and council tax support and contact details for the service in Ashford Borough Council
- Citizens Advice The charity for your community
- Defence Discount Service The only official Ministry of Defence (MOD) discount service and also home of the Defence Privilege Card
- MoneyForce The home of money guidance for UK Service personnel and their families
- Money Advice Service Free, unbiased and independent advice
Advice and services
- KCC support for the armed forces community Includes links to Advice and services
- Children's Education Advisory Service Provides expert and impartial advice about the education of service children
- National Careers Service Provides careers advice and information on a wide range of jobs, training course resources and funding
- RELATE The relationship people
- School Admissions Find schools are in your area and the admissions criteria for the schools you're interested in
Page 5 of 7