Urgent Telephone Weekends : 01233 331111

Queries and Appeals

The council tax regulations allow taxpayers to appeal against their charge in three areas. These areas are:

  • Appeals against banding of property.
  • Appeals against liability, discount or exemption.
  • Appeals, backdating and overpayments.

Appeals against banding of property

The band of your property is allocated by the Valuation Office Agency, which is a government agency. The band is based on the market value of your property as of 1 April 1991. 

You can find out more about when you can challenge your band and what you need to do on the government website. If you challenge your band, you must continue to pay council tax at your current band until your appeal is decided.

You can contact the VOA on the government website. If you are unable to use the online service you can also contact the VOA on 03000 501 501.

Please note that this telephone number is for the Valuation Office Agency and therefore deals with valuation enquiries.

Appeals against liability, discount or exemption

If you have any query on your account, we will check your account. If there is an error we will correct it and issue you with a new bill.

Please contact us if you want to appeal a decision made by the council regarding liability for the charge or your entitlement to a discount, exemption or disablement relief.

It may be that we do not have all the information that we need to send you a correct bill. Give us as much detail as possible to help us resolve the problem. 

If you still don't agree that your council tax charge is correct there are some cases where you are entitled to appeal.

Appeals, backdating and overpayments

Visit our appeals page to find out how to appeal a benefit decision, or if you'd like us to reconsider our decision.

Visit our backdating page to find out about backdating benefit entitlement. 

Visit our overpayment of benefit page to find out about overpayment of benefits.