Council Tax Recovery Costs
There are no costs for receiving a reminder or final notice. A maximum of two reminders will be issued in a financial year.
Council tax summons
If you are summonsed to the Magistrates Court you will incur £60 costs.
Council tax liability order
At the hearing, the council will apply for a liability order and an additional £65 costs.
Non domestic rates summons
If you are summonsed to the Magistrates Court the cost is £0.
Non domestic rates liability order
At the hearing, the council will apply for a liability order and £180 costs.
Failure to provide information of your financial circumstances
Failure to supply the information when requested, or to supply false information, is a criminal offence and if found guilty carries a substantial fine. Costs could be up to £1000.00.
Attachment of earnings
Your employer can also take £1 for each deduction for their administration costs.
We may use enforcement agents (formerly known as bailiffs) to recover the debt.
- Stage 1 – This results in a fee of £75 for each instruction that is passed by the council to an Enforcement Agent
- Stage 2 – A fee of £235 covers all work carried out but a further charge of 7.5% of any debt value over £1,500 will also be applied
- Stage 3 – A fee of £110 plus 7.5% of any debt value over £1,500
Committal to prison
- £305 will be added to the debt for making an application for a Warrant of Commitment
- £145 will be added for making an application for a Warrant of Arrest
- Typically, a debt can increase by tens of thousands of pounds. You will be liable for the legal fees and disbursements incurred in this process.
You will be liable for the substantial legal fees and disbursements incurred in this process.