Council Tax Recovery Costs
There are no costs for receiving a reminder or final notice. A maximum of two reminders will be issued in a financial year.
Council tax summons
If you are summoned to the Magistrates Court you will have to pay £60.
Council tax liability order
At the hearing, the council will apply for a liability order. You will have to pay an additional £65.
Non domestic rates summons
If you are summoned to the Magistrates Court you won't have to make an additional payment.
Non domestic rates liability order
At the hearing, the council will apply for a liability order and £180 costs.
Failure to provide information of your financial circumstances
Failing to supply the information when requested, or supplying false information, is a criminal offence. If found guilty you will have to pay a substantial fine. Costs could be up to £1000.
Attachment of earnings
Your employer can also take £1 for each deduction for their administration costs.
We may use enforcement agents (formerly known as bailiffs) to recover the debt.
The following stages will be used to recover debt:
- Stage 1 – This results in a fee of £75 for each instruction that is passed by the council to an Enforcement Agent.
- Stage 2 – A fee of £235 covers all work carried out but a further charge of 7.5% of any debt value over £1,500 will also be applied.
- Stage 3 – A fee of £110 plus 7.5% of any debt value over £1,500.
Committal to prison
- £305 will be added to the debt for making an application for a Warrant of Commitment
- £145 will be added for making an application for a Warrant of Arrest
- Typically, a debt can increase by tens of thousands of pounds. You will be liable for the legal fees and disbursements incurred in this process.
You will be liable for the substantial legal fees and disbursements incurred in this process.