E-permits- Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
+ What are virtual permits?
The way Ashford Borough Council’s parking permit system operates has changed. We are moving away from paper permits to virtual permits.
- We are no longer issuing paper permits. Instead, we hold a electronic record of a permit on the council’s system.
- A virtual permit is linked to a vehicle registration number. Our civil enforcement officers will be able to see if a vehicle has a valid permit using their handheld electronic devices.
- This change makes the application and renewal process faster and more efficient, customers can apply for a permit 24/7.
- You are no longer required to wait for a paper permit to arrive in the post.
- Once we accept an application, the virtual permit is generally instantly issued.
+ Where are the residents' parking zones?
+ Can I apply for a virtual residents' parking permit?
Yes, if your home or your business* is located in one of our Residents Parking Permit Zones, provided your home or business appeared on the Register of Electors or Business Rates list when the zone was made. *Business permits are only available in zones D, E and F.
Please be aware – Properties newly built or converted from one use to another after the creation of a zone will not be entitled to a permit.
For a list of the streets in each zone, please view the Terms and Conditions below.
Resident permits - https://www.ashford.gov.uk/parking/residential parking permits/
Season Tickets - https://www.ashford.gov.uk/parking/season-tickets/
Business Permits - https://www.ashford.gov.uk/parking/business-permits/
Partner Permits - https://www.ashford.gov.uk/parking/partner-permits/
ABC staff permits - https://www.ashford.gov.uk/parking/abc-staff-civic-centre-site-permits/
+ Do I need to open an account to apply for a virtual permit?
+ How do I open an account?
Setting up an account is quick and simple:
Step 1: Have your details ready you will need your email address and postcode. Go to https://permits.paysmarti.co.uk/acct/ashfordbc/. You will be asked to choose and confirm a password.
Step 2. Choose your account type. If you want to apply for a:
- Residents parking permit – choose Resident
- Season permit – choose Non-resident
- Business permit – choose Business
- Partner – choose Partner/Tenant
- SERCO Staff – choose Serco
- Freedom Staff – choose Freedom
Step 3. Confirm your email address and choose your password
Step 4. Enter your details and find your address using your postcode
Step 5. You will receive an email asking you to activate your new account.
+ Can I apply for an e-permit at the council offices?
+ Who do I contact if I am having difficulty applying online, or I need more information?
+ How much does a permit cost?
Please click on a link to see our current prices:
+ Do I need to provide any proof?
For a season ticket – No
For a residents and business parking permits - Yes
- Proof you have lived or intend to live in your home for a minimum of 6 months and:
- Proof that you own or lease a car or small van
For a number of years we have not asked residents and businesses to provide evidence when renewing an on-street permit. As a new system is being introduced, we will be carrying out checks to ensure permits are issued correctly. Consequently, all applicants will be required to upload proof documents when applying for a permit.
Evidence that we will accept:
For your home:
- Council tax bill
- Utility bill (less than 3 months old – not for a mobile phone)
- Bank statement (less than 3 months old)
- Mortgage documents (less than 3 months old)
- Purchase confirmation of completion (with vacant possession) letter from your solicitor
- Tenancy Agreement
For your vehicle:
- V5C full document - we cannot accept a new owner slip as proof of vehicle ownership
- Certificate of Motor Insurance – provided you are the named policyholder
- Lease agreement/purchase document in your name
- Company headed letter – confirming you are the main authorised driver of the vehicle
For your business:
- Proof of business rates
- Utility bill addressed to the business (less than 3 months old – not for a mobile phone)
- Company headed paper
+ Do I need to upload my proof documents?
+ Can I have two vehicles on my permit?
+ Will my permit be valid straight away?
Season tickets and other car park permits will be valid straight away. Residents and business on street permits applications will be reviewed but this will not “hold up” the process and your permit should be available to use from your chosen start date.
Permits cannot be backdated.
+ Where can I use a season ticket to park my vehicle?
The Ashford Town Centre Season ticket can be used in any of the following car parks:
- Edinburgh Road Multi-storey,
- Elwick Road,
- Victoria Road,
- Dover Place,
- Station Road, Ashford,
- Flour Mills or;
- Henwood car park
- Flour Mills Season ticket – Flour Mills car park
- Henwood Season ticket – Henwood car park
- Victoria Road Season ticket – Victoria Road car park
- Bridewell Lane Season ticket – Bridewell Lane car park and the rear to Tenterden Leisure Centre car park
+ Where can I use my residents permit?
You may use your residents parking permit to park in the marked on street parking bays within your zone. To see the streets where you are allowed to park please go to the Resident Parking Permit page and check the T&Cs and click on the link for your zone.