Urgent Telephone Weekends : 01233 331111

Building Control Forms and Fees


Important notice: Please note our fees increased as of Monday 22 October 2018

For information on how to obtain fee advice please visit:

The hourly rate for Ashford Borough Council to consult with the Building Safety Regulator will be £72.00 plus VAT.

Historical building regulation applications

The Building Control team has a policy to keep documents on all building regulation applications for 15 years. After that time has passed we will still keep records of property address, a description of work and an issue of completion certificate. We will no longer hold personal information after this period.

Applying for building regulations

If you want to construct, extend or alter a dwelling or a building, it is likely that you will need to make an application under the building regulations.

Our building control team process the applications and carry out inspections to ensure that building work satisfies the standards.

Depending on the scale and type of work involved you may use either a full plans application or submit a building notice. We can accept applications by post, email, or by hand at our offices.

Building regulations form

We now have one form for building notices/full plans applications and regularisation applications (please tick in the appropriate box at the top of the form to indicate the type of application you require).

Ashford Borough Council (ABC) is the data controller for the personal information you provide in this form. ABC’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted at FOI@ashford.gov.uk. Your information will be used to process your building control application and processing is conducted relying upon the GDPR legal basis. Your information may be shared with further third parties if we are required or permitted to do so by law for example, consultation with other regulatory public bodies, or to prevent fraud or the misuse of public funds. Your information will be retained for 15 years. For more information on your rights please see the council’s privacy statement.

A building notice application can be submitted for small domestic works and often no plans are needed. However, we may sometimes ask for further information (i.e. structural calculations and specifications) depending on the type of works. 

Full plans application can be used for any type of work, where you require your drawings to be checked and approved.

A regularisation application is to be used to apply for retrospective approval of work that was previously carried out without building regulations approval.

Demolition notice

This form is to be used where a certain sized building, or part of a building, is to be demolished.

If you are planning to demolish a building it is likely that you will be required to serve a notice on the local authority. This guidance gives advice on how to do this and outlines other important aspects of the demolition process, including which structures might be exempt from a Section 80 Notice.

Part P – electrical safety

Electrical installations are a 'controlled service' under building regulations and a form must be filled in. This form should be submitted along with a full plans application or building notice.

Find a registered electrician: Visit the electrical competent person website for a register of electricians belonging to the various CPS schemes.

General guidance: Visit the electrical safety first website for general advice, guidance and information in easy to understand formats.

Electronic submissions

Send your building control application form and any plans/correspondence by email. Please note we can only accept an email limit of 10mb or less.

The main benefits of applying online are:

  1. It is free of charge
  2. It can be emailed 24 hours a day 7 days a week
  3. No printing or postage is required
  4. It will reduce your carbon footprint

Methods of payment

  • Make a payment online.

The easiest and quickest way to pay a building control fee is online.

You can process a payment 24/7 and the fee is instantly processed through to the administration team.

  • BACS transfer:

Account: 74313363
Sort code: 60-01-21

Please don't forget to quote your reference number or site address on the instruction.

  • Phone by credit/debit card:  01233 330324

Building Control Enforcement Policy

View the LABC Enforcement Policy [pdf] 403KB.