Holiday fun and food in AshfordPublished: 27/08/2020
Wondering what to do with the kids at home? August always did seem a long month for parents with children home from school – but more than ever this year, after the long lockdown with restrictions still in place.
Ashford Holiday Kitchen was initially set up to provide centres offering family activities and food in the summer holidays, but sadly this year it hasn't been possible.
Cllr Liz Wright has worked hard to bring the group together and raise funds. She says “It’s been a privilege to work with such caring people. Unfortunately because of COVID-19 we can’t run the summer scheme that we intended. Instead our centres are offering free take-away meals and food boxes and some free activity packs. All Ashford families with children are welcome – many have lost jobs and childcare through no fault of their own.”
These centres are:
- Light Bites café at the Willow Centre, Halstow Way, open to families weekdays 12.00 - 2.00 for free take away meals and food boxes:
- ‘Grub from the Hub’ is available from Uprising, Otterden Close, Stanhope on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- St Francis Church, Cryol Rd is delivering 45 family food boxes each week.
- The People’s Pantry and Community Fridge at Repton Connect Community Centre is open to anyone living in the Ashford area, with a pop-up café ‘Barista Buddies’ opening on Monday, August 25th. Outdoor activities are also available.
- Willesborough Baptist Church, Hythe Rd has opened The Well, a ‘pay as you feel’ open air café and community space for families to meet, with outdoor activities, free frozen meals and food boxes to take away. Open 9.30- 12.00 Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
- Bright City Church in Bank St. also offers take-away meals and food boxes for families from 10.00 – 12.30 Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
More details on the Ashford Holiday Kitchen Facebook page.
So things to do and places to go – all the groups in Ashford Holiday Kitchen have been working hard for you to provide these meals and activities– so make the most of it, come out, join in the fun near you and enjoy the sunshine!